all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hebrew + Org Mode Slow
@ 2020-03-22 17:18 Mark H. David
From: Mark H. David @ 2020-03-22 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have a large org mode file. When I move the cursor among text that contains Hebrew, it slows down dramatically. Like goes away for 10 seconds or longer. Is this a known bug in performance? Anyone know what the heck it's doing that slows it down so much? Normally, when I have everything closed except the item I'm typing into (typically at the bottom), and it's all in English typically, there's no performance issue whatsoever.

* Re: Hebrew + Org Mode Slow
@ 2020-03-22 17:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-03-22 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark H. David; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 10:18:13 -0700
> From: "Mark H. David" <mhd@yv.org>
>
> I have a large org mode file. When I move the cursor among text that contains Hebrew, it slows down dramatically. Like goes away for 10 seconds or longer. Is this a known bug in performance? Anyone know what the heck it's doing that slows it down so much? Normally, when I have everything closed except the item I'm typing into (typically at the bottom), and it's all in English typically, there's no performance issue whatsoever.

An example, please.  If you are saying that the English and the Hebrew
parts hide roughly the same amount of text, then what you describe is
definitely not something I see, not in general-purpose text.  So it
must be something peculiar in this case, either with what the text
contains (perhaps some unusual characters for which you don't have a
font), or the hidden parts in Hebrew are much larger, or something
else.

IOW, there's no such problem in general that is known to us, it's most
probably something specific to that specific file or some local
configuration.  So more data is needed to give you a useful answer.

* Re: Hebrew + Org Mode Slow
@ 2020-03-22 17:41   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-03-22 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mhd; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2020 19:35:34 +0200
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> IOW, there's no such problem in general that is known to us, it's most
> probably something specific to that specific file or some local
> configuration.  So more data is needed to give you a useful answer.

Oh, and please also tell which version of Emacs are you using and on
what OS.