all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Toggling/ customizing appearance of "fringe" in emacs 21
@ 2005-06-11  8:31 Peter Daum
From: Peter Daum @ 2005-06-11  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any way to adjust the visibility and width of the "fringes"
that newer emacses have at the left and right margins of the window?
Most of the time they don't display any useful information, so I'd
rather save some screen real estate by making them smaller or, even
better selectively toggling them on/off.

I did some pretty extensive searching, but all I could find is the
face named "fringe" which can be customized (which would allow me to
change the fringe color).

Furthermore it looks like there once were parameters "left-fringe" and
"right-fringe" in default-frame-alist describing the width of these
fringes (I found some elisp code named "fringe.el" by Simon Josefsson
which mostly manipulates these) but setting these does not seem to
have any effect in emacs 21.3.

Regards,
                       Peter Daum

* Re: Toggling/ customizing appearance of "fringe" in emacs 21
@ 2005-06-11  9:30 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2005-06-11  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Peter Daum <gator_ml@yahoo.de>
> Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:31:42 +0200
>
> Is there any way to adjust the visibility and width of the "fringes"
> that newer emacses have at the left and right margins of the window?

Not in the released versions of Emacs, but in the CVS code (and so in
the next version, which will be Emacs 22).

* Re: Toggling/ customizing appearance of "fringe" in emacs 21
@ 2005-06-11  9:39 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-11  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.06.2005 um 10:31 schrieb Peter Daum:

> Is there any way to adjust the visibility and width of the "fringes"
> that newer emacses have at the left and right margins of the window?

I'm working in newer Emacsen, they have the function
customize-apropos-options, to get only those customization options that
are referred to fringes, for example. Here are settings I use:

  '(fringe-indicators (quote right) nil (fringe))
  '(fringe ((((class color) (background light)) (:background "khaki"
:foreground "steel blue"))))

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Nazionalismus ist die Religion der armen Schweine

* Re: Toggling/ customizing appearance of "fringe" in emacs 21
       [not found] <mailman.4273.1118479747.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-12 19:00 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-06-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Furthermore it looks like there once were parameters "left-fringe" and
> "right-fringe" in default-frame-alist describing the width of these
> fringes (I found some elisp code named "fringe.el" by Simon Josefsson
> which mostly manipulates these) but setting these does not seem to
> have any effect in emacs 21.3.

These were never pat of the past, but they're part of the future.
Luckily, the future is here already, just check out the Emacs-CVS code.