all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
To: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Cc: Klaus.Zeitler@alcatel-lucent.com, 16717@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#16717: Dumping: Can't update subspace record
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 00:31:58 -0800	[thread overview]

Glenn Morris wrote:
> Because I totally agree [with requiring GNU make]

I'd also prefer requiring GNU make after the freeze is over.  GCC has
required this since GCC 3.4 (April 2004), and it seems to perk along
quite nicely.  GCC requires GNU make 3.80 (October 2002) or later; these
days I think it'd be OK for Emacs to bump that to GNU make 3.81 (April
2006) or later.

> I think it would be better to first figure out exactly what HP make did
> not like in the original version.

Trying to nail down exactly what an old proprietary 'make' dislikes is
often more trouble than it's worth.  I've had experiences with them not
liking command lines of exactly 1023 bytes, that sort of thing.

> Fails when the installation directory contains spaces.

Sorry about that; fixed in trunk bzr 16717.  There are other reasons
installation fails when the destination directory name contains spaces,
at least for me; I'll try to look into that.