all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 12:20 Ask
From: Ask @ 2007-01-30 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.

What am I missing to get the colors seen ?

Thanks

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 12:25 ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2007-01-30 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Ask" <ask.q@indiatimes.com> writes:

> I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
> Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
> with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
> Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
> I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
> colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
> bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
> bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.
>
> What am I missing to get the colors seen ?

I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:

xterm
xterm-color
xterm-256color
dtterm

Then re-run Emacs.

Cheers,
Phil
--
"Strangely, in slow motion replay, the ball seemed to hang in the air
for even longer."

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 13:42   ` Ask
From: Ask @ 2007-01-30 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 5:25 pm, Phil Jackson <n...@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
> "Ask" <a...@indiatimes.com> writes:
> > I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
> > Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
> > with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
> > Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
> > I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
> > colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
> > bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
> > bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.
>
> > What am I missing to get the colors seen ?
>
> I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:
>
> xterm
> xterm-color
> xterm-256color
> dtterm

The  last one seems to work. But at some of the places areas overlap.
For example, few lines after the comments block are shown in the same
color as that of the comments block. A String is shown in different
color but few characters following the string are shown in the same
color as that of the string, etc. Colors are seen but do not seem to
be 'desciplined'.

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 15:49   ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2007-01-30 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
> "Ask" <ask.q@indiatimes.com> writes:

>> I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
>> Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
>> with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
>> Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
>> I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
>> colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
>> bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
>> bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.
>>
>> What am I missing to get the colors seen ?

> I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:

> xterm
> xterm-color
> xterm-256color
> dtterm

He's probably running PuTTY (set TERM to "putty").
None of the other suggestions are likely to be correct.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 15:51     ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2007-01-30 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ask <ask.q@indiatimes.com> wrote:
> On Jan 30, 5:25 pm, Phil Jackson <n...@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Ask" <a...@indiatimes.com> writes:
>> > I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
>> > Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
>> > with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
>> > Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
>> > I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
>> > colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
>> > bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
>> > bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.
>>
>> > What am I missing to get the colors seen ?
>>
>> I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:
>>
>> xterm
>> xterm-color
>> xterm-256color
>> dtterm
>>

> The  last one seems to work. But at some of the places areas overlap.
> For example, few lines after the comments block are shown in the same
> color as that of the comments block. A String is shown in different
> color but few characters following the string are shown in the same
> color as that of the string, etc. Colors are seen but do not seem to
> be 'desciplined'.

dtterm's terminal description says that clearing the background will
not use the current color.

(identifying the "ssh client" would help provide a better guess than "putty").

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 16:05     ` Phil Jackson
From: Phil Jackson @ 2007-01-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

> Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
>> "Ask" <ask.q@indiatimes.com> writes:
>
>>> I am using Emacs 21.1 using ssh client (windows machine) on a Unix/
>>> Linux server. Emacs opens the file in console itself which I am fine
>>> with. X-type of environment my ssh client is incapable of providing.
>>> Even though it is emacs *21.1*, it doesn't show the color higlighting.
>>> I did execute Alt-X font-lock-mode. All it did, instead of showing
>>> colors, made language constructs for exampke keywords, comments etc
>>> bolder. My console still looked Black & White. I noticed I was using
>>> bash shell and TERM was set to vt100.
>>>
>>> What am I missing to get the colors seen ?
>
>> I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:
>
>> xterm
>> xterm-color
>> xterm-256color
>> dtterm
>
> He's probably running PuTTY (set TERM to "putty").
> None of the other suggestions are likely to be correct.

Don't forget that Emacs parses the termcap entries too and on SunOS 5.9
putty has no definition, so actually, it's much less likely to work than
the above list.

,----[ TERM=putty emacs ]
| $ TERM=putty emacs-22.0.50
| emacs: Terminal type putty is not defined.
`----

Cheers,
Phil
--
"The team has come along slow but fast."
- Casey Stengel, Baseball player/manager

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 16:31       ` Ask
From: Ask @ 2007-01-30 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 30, 8:51 pm, Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
> Ask <a...@indiatimes.com> wrote:

> >> I don't know which OS you are on but try setting your TERM to one of:
>
> >> xterm
> >> xterm-color
> >> xterm-256color
> >> dtterm
>
> > The  last one seems to work. But at some of the places areas overlap.
> > For example, few lines after the comments block are shown in the same
> > color as that of the comments block. A String is shown in different
> > color but few characters following the string are shown in the same
> > color as that of the string, etc. Colors are seen but do not seem to
> > be 'desciplined'.
>
> dtterm's terminal description says that clearing the background will
> not use the current color.
>
> (identifying the "ssh client" would help provide a better guess than "putty").
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickeyhttp://invisible-island.netftp://invisible-island.net- Hide quoted text -

I was using SSH Secure Shell 3.2. Is there any way I could get rid of
the improper coloring issue ?
Thanks

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 16:59       ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2007-01-30 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
> Thomas Dickey <dickey@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

>> Phil Jackson <nntp@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:

>>> xterm
>>> xterm-color
>>> xterm-256color
>>> dtterm
>>
>> He's probably running PuTTY (set TERM to "putty").
>> None of the other suggestions are likely to be correct.

> Don't forget that Emacs parses the termcap entries too and on SunOS 5.9
> putty has no definition, so actually, it's much less likely to work than
> the above list.

Still no: xterm-color and xterm-256color would be defined in ncurses,
which means he would have putty.  (As noted, there's no clue regarding
the platform other than "Unix/Linux" - unless you examine the profile
in google, and see that none of the postings apply to Solaris - all are
Linux or C).

So assuming he's got a regular terminfo database (not one of the
lobotomized ones), he's got putty.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 17:06         ` Ask
From: Ask @ 2007-01-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

SSH Secure Shell 3.2 from Windows machine to a server that runs
Solaris OS

On Jan 30, 9:59 pm, Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> wrote:
> Phil Jackson <n...@shellarchive.co.uk> wrote:
> > Thomas Dickey <dic...@saltmine.radix.net> writes:

> >> He's probably running PuTTY (set TERM to "putty").
> >> None of the other suggestions are likely to be correct.
> > Don't forget that Emacs parses the termcap entries too and on SunOS 5.9
> > putty has no definition, so actually, it's much less likely to work than
> > the above list.Still no: xterm-color and xterm-256color would be defined in ncurses,
> which means he would have putty.  (As noted, there's no clue regarding
> the platform other than "Unix/Linux" - unless you examine the profile
> in google, and see that none of the postings apply to Solaris - all are
> Linux or C).
>
> So assuming he's got a regular terminfo database (not one of the
> lobotomized ones), he's got putty.
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickeyhttp://invisible-island.netftp://invisible-island.net- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 17:12         ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2007-01-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ask <ask.q@indiatimes.com> wrote:

> I was using SSH Secure Shell 3.2. Is there any way I could get rid of
> the improper coloring issue ?

I have an old entry in terminfo which might work, e.g., set TERM=crt

That uses this definition

	# CRT is shareware.  It implements some xterm features, including mouse.
	crt|crt-vt220|CRT 2.3 emulating VT220,
		bce, msgr,
		ncv@,
		hts=\EH, use=vt100+enq, use=vt220, use=ecma+color,

This will help understand the problem:

	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_terminfo

(since it's shareware, it gets less attention ;-)

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* Re: emacs 21.1 color highligh
@ 2007-01-30 17:50           ` Mike Treseler
From: Mike Treseler @ 2007-01-30 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ask wrote:
> SSH Secure Shell 3.2 from Windows machine to a server that runs
> Solaris OS

If you can arrange a vpn connection,
try nomachine solaris server and a windows client.
http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

I run KDE/suse/emacs at work and the
exact same GUI at home on an nx windows client.

     -- Mike Treseler