all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Installed AUCTeX with ELPA, but it's not loading
@ 2013-10-17 20:04 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2013-10-17 20:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've installed AUCTeX with ELPA, that is, I've done
M-x package-install RET auctex RET
This seems to have executed successfully, and I was able to use AUCTeX
in the same Emacs session.

Then I started Emacs again, but AUCTeX was not loaded.  There is no
message that indicates what might be wrong.  "--debug-init" is not
helpful, either.

I am using Emacs 24.3 from MacPorts.  My ~/.emacs file is not empty, but
simple enough: it defines a few functions, sets a few variables, binds a
few keys.  It does not modify load-path.

The symptom I'm seeing is that latex-mode is from tex-mode.el.

How do I figure out what went wrong?

Kai

* Re: Installed AUCTeX with ELPA, but it's not loading
@ 2013-10-17 20:28 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-10-17 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Großjohann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.10.2013 um 22:04 schrieb Kai Großjohann:

> How do I figure out what went wrong?

The "normal" AUCTeX is activated by putting into some init file

  (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
  (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Schön zu können, wenn man muss. 	– Always Ultra

* Re: Installed AUCTeX with ELPA, but it's not loading
@ 2013-10-17 22:22 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-17 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've installed AUCTeX with ELPA, that is, I've done
> M-x package-install RET auctex RET
> This seems to have executed successfully, and I was able to use AUCTeX
> in the same Emacs session.

> Then I started Emacs again, but AUCTeX was not loaded.  There is no
> message that indicates what might be wrong.  "--debug-init" is not
> helpful, either.

Which package version?
If you add a (package-initialize) in your .emacs, does it help?

* Re: Installed AUCTeX with ELPA, but it's not loading
@ 2013-10-18 22:24   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2013-10-18 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Which package version?
> If you add a (package-initialize) in your .emacs, does it help?

I had (package-initialize) in .emacs but then I realized I wasn't
supposed to.  So I took it out.  [time passes]  Okay, I've tested again
with (package-initialize), it didn't help.

Other packages initialize fine.

The package.el is from my Emacs.  The AUCTeX package has version:
(define-package "auctex" "11.87" "Integrated environment for *TeX*" nil
:url "http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/")
(Not sure which of them you meant with "package version" :-) )

Is Emacs loading auctex first and then the built-in tex?

@ 2013-10-19  0:53     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-19  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Großjohann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> The package.el is from my Emacs.  The AUCTeX package has version:
> (define-package "auctex" "11.87" "Integrated environment for *TeX*" nil

Ah, yes, there was a problem with that version which failed to define
aliases for tex-mode, latex-mode, ....  They were fixed in 11.87.1.
The current version is 11.87.2 (these are ELPA versions, i.e. just the
packaging is different, but it's the same 11.87 code).

* Re: Installed AUCTeX with ELPA, but it's not loading
@ 2013-10-19 19:08       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2013-10-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> The package.el is from my Emacs.  The AUCTeX package has version:
>> (define-package "auctex" "11.87" "Integrated environment for *TeX*" nil
>
> Ah, yes, there was a problem with that version which failed to define
> aliases for tex-mode, latex-mode, ....  They were fixed in 11.87.1.

Awesome!  Yes, that fixed it.  So these packages don't auto-update :-)

@ 2013-10-19 21:32         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-19 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Großjohann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Awesome!  Yes, that fixed it.  So these packages don't auto-update :-)

M-x list-packages will show you which ones have an new available and
provides a command to upgrade them all, but no, fully automatic
"auto-update" with no user involvement is largely contrary to the
scriptures of Emacs.