all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* print line numbe
@ 2013-09-29  1:25 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2013-09-29  1:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I make a piece of elisp report the line number when it prints
a message?

Something along the line of the __LINE__ operator in perl,
or the $LINENO operator in shell-scripting.

Something like:

   (message "Hello from line: " something-that-reports-line-number)

* Re: print line numbe
@ 2013-09-29  2:08 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2013-09-29  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It was a dark and stormy night when Harry Putnam said  (29/09/13 11:25):
> How can I make a piece of elisp report the line number when it prints
> a message?
>
> Something along the line of the __LINE__ operator in perl,
> or the $LINENO operator in shell-scripting.
>
> Something like:
>
>    (message "Hello from line: " something-that-reports-line-number)

(message  (format "Hello from line: %d" (line-number-at-pos)))

* Re: print line numbe
@ 2013-09-29  2:10   ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2013-09-29  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I>> Something like:
>>
>>    (message "Hello from line: " something-that-reports-line-number)
>>

> (message  (format "Hello from line: %d" (line-number-at-pos)))

or simpler
  (message  "Hello from line: %d" (line-number-at-pos) )

* Re: print line numbe
@ 2013-10-01 13:52 Barry OReilly
From: Barry OReilly @ 2013-10-01 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Something along the line of the __LINE__ operator in perl, or
>> the $LINENO operator in shell-scripting.

> (message  "Hello from line: %d" (line-number-at-pos))

I thought he was asking for the line number of the message call in the .el,
not the position of point in the current buffer.

Something like __FILE__ and __LINE__ for Elisp would be nice to have.