all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* `forward-sentence' broken?
@ 2013-09-26 15:38 Frederik
From: Frederik @ 2013-09-26 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello there,
at least for me the behaviour of the `forward-sentence' function
(normally bound to M-e) in GNU Emacs doesn't work right.

After pasting the following paragraph to a buffer
	Maximilian Karl Emil "Max" Weber was a German sociologist,
	philosopher, and political economist whose ideas influenced
	social theory, social research, and the entire discipline of
	sociology. Weber is often cited, with Émile Durkheim and Karl
	Marx, as among the three founding architects of sociology.

I place the cursor to the beginning of the paragraph, i.e. just before
"Maximilian". Then pressing M-e brings the cursor to the end of the
paragraph. But the intended behaviour is to bring the cursor to the end
of the first sentence, i.e. after the first "sociology", right before
"Weber", isn't it? Is this a bug I should report?
I tried this after starting up emacs by
	$ emacs -Q
Emacs version 24.3.1 on Arch Linux.

Regards

(also posted on the Arch Linux forums:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=170403 )

--
Frederik

* Re: `forward-sentence' broken?
       [not found] <mailman.2921.1380209927.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-09-26 15:43 ` Dan Espen
From: Dan Espen @ 2013-09-26 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Frederik <freak.fred@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello there,
> at least for me the behaviour of the `forward-sentence' function
> (normally bound to M-e) in GNU Emacs doesn't work right.
>
> After pasting the following paragraph to a buffer
> 	Maximilian Karl Emil "Max" Weber was a German sociologist,
> 	philosopher, and political economist whose ideas influenced
> 	social theory, social research, and the entire discipline of
> 	sociology. Weber is often cited, with Émile Durkheim and Karl
> 	Marx, as among the three founding architects of sociology.
>
> I place the cursor to the beginning of the paragraph, i.e. just before
> "Maximilian". Then pressing M-e brings the cursor to the end of the
> paragraph. But the intended behaviour is to bring the cursor to the end
> of the first sentence, i.e. after the first "sociology", right before
> "Weber", isn't it? Is this a bug I should report?
> I tried this after starting up emacs by
> 	$ emacs -Q
> Emacs version 24.3.1 on Arch Linux.

Go here:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sentences.html

Specifically:

The  sentence commands  assume  that you  follow  the American  typist's
convention of putting two spaces at the end of a sentence.

--
Dan Espen

* Re: `forward-sentence' broken?
@ 2013-09-26 15:47 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2013-09-26 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frederik; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Frederik <freak.fred@gmail.com> wrote:

> at least for me the behaviour of the `forward-sentence' function
> (normally bound to M-e) in GNU Emacs doesn't work right.

>         sociology. Weber is often cited, with Émile Durkheim and Karl

Your Emacs is configured to consider sentences to be separated by a
period followed by two spaces. That is the default. Set the variable
“sentence-end-double-space” to nil.

* Re: `forward-sentence' broken?
@ 2013-09-26 15:52   ` Frederik
From: Frederik @ 2013-09-26 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.09.2013 17:47, schrieb Yuri Khan:
> Your Emacs is configured to consider sentences to be separated by a
> period followed by two spaces. That is the default. Set the variable
> “sentence-end-double-space” to nil.

This is it! Thanks!

--
Frederik

* Re: `forward-sentence' broken?
@ 2013-09-26 16:08 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-09-26 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.09.2013 17:38, schrieb Frederik:
> Hello there,
> at least for me the behaviour of the `forward-sentence' function
> (normally bound to M-e) in GNU Emacs doesn't work right.
>
> After pasting the following paragraph to a buffer
> 	Maximilian Karl Emil "Max" Weber was a German sociologist,
> 	philosopher, and political economist whose ideas influenced
> 	social theory, social research, and the entire discipline of
> 	sociology. Weber is often cited, with Émile Durkheim and Karl
> 	Marx, as among the three founding architects of sociology.
>
> I place the cursor to the beginning of the paragraph, i.e. just before
> "Maximilian". Then pressing M-e brings the cursor to the end of the
> paragraph. But the intended behaviour is to bring the cursor to the end
> of the first sentence, i.e. after the first "sociology", right before
> "Weber", isn't it? Is this a bug I should report?
> I tried this after starting up emacs by
> 	$ emacs -Q
> Emacs version 24.3.1 on Arch Linux.
>
> Regards
>
> (also posted on the Arch Linux forums:
> https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=170403 )

Sentence end is expressed by two spaces following a period. Kind of semi-standard in computing AFAIK.
Otherwise it's hard to discriminate if from abbreviations and other symbols inside.

Maybe exists an emacs library providing this for singlespaced textes? Being interested also.