On 9/19/13 9:35 AM, Andreas Schwab wrote: > Daniel Colascione writes: > >> Can we please remove these "!defined __APPLE__" tests and start inlining >> functions again in OS X? > > Why doesn't the compiler inline static functions by itself? Why should it? Also, I don't see why we've been going through the tree and replacing instances of "static inline" with "static": sure, it's possible for the compiler to inline non-"inline" functions, and even functions marked "inline" might not get inlined, but "static inline" is a good hint and makes inlining much more likely. Why should we remove this hint?