all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* popup menu, menu bar and keyboard
@ 2006-08-05  5:37 Eugene Markov
From: Eugene Markov @ 2006-08-05  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

GNU Emacs 21.4.1 (i386-pc-linux-gnu, Motif Version 2.2.3)
How to operate the popup menu from the keyboard?

Thanks.

--

Eugene Markov.

* Re: popup menu, menu bar and keyboard
@ 2013-09-04  6:32 ` Jarek Czekalski
From: Jarek Czekalski @ 2013-09-04  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I have the same question after 7 years. How do I quick-select a menu item,
say "Search" in "Edit". On Windows it's easy: F10, E, S. However on Linux
(graphical interface) the following part from the manual does not apply:

/Each menu item is also designated by a letter or digit (usually the initial
of some word in the item's name). This letter or digit is separated from the
item name by ‘==>’. You can type the item's letter or digit to select the
item./

I think I saw that on terminal version of emacs, but not on the graphical
one.

Why doesn't this work on graphical Linux?

In Emacs tutorial it's emphasized that the Emacs is so convenient and
ergonomic to use... :)

* Re: popup menu, menu bar and keyboard
@ 2013-09-04  6:54   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-09-04  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jarek Czekalski; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Jarek Czekalski <jarekczek@poczta.onet.pl> writes:

> I have the same question after 7 years. How do I quick-select a menu item,
> say "Search" in "Edit". On Windows it's easy: F10, E, S.

> However on Linux (graphical interface)

Edit->Search->String Forward                       (No keybindings displayed)
Edit->Search->Incremental Search->Forward String   (Bound to C-s)

Are these two entries do the same thing.  May be you should do a

     M-x report-emacs-bug RET

and request for further clarification on the apparently duplicate entries.

> the following part from the manual does not apply:

> /Each menu item is also designated by a letter or digit (usually the initial
> of some word in the item's name). This letter or digit is separated from the
> item name by ‘==>’. You can type the item's letter or digit to select the
> item./
>
> I think I saw that on terminal version of emacs, but not on the graphical
> one.
>
> Why doesn't this work on graphical Linux?

Try M-`

or use F10 after doing

    (global-set-key [f10] (quote tmm-menubar))

or just M-x tmm-menubar

> In Emacs tutorial it's emphasized that the Emacs is so convenient and
> ergonomic to use... :)

Don't believe in everything that you read or hear.

@ 2013-09-04 15:20     ` Jarek Czekalski
From: Jarek Czekalski @ 2013-09-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

W dniu 2013-09-04 08:54, Jambunathan K pisze:
> Try M-`

Alt-grave is acceptable, legally cross-platform. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jarek