On 8/7/13 12:45 PM, Glenn Morris wrote: > How is this "suggested", and how is it a problem? > From the Tramp manual: > > `ftp' > This is not a native TRAMP method. Instead, it forwards all > requests to Ange-FTP. because when I attempt to open a file using the ftp protocol, tramp loads, and the ssh handler throws an error about bad hostname ftp, instead of being passed to ange-ftp. this is also the case when I start emacs -Q -l ange-ftp. however, ange-ftp is reachable via emacs with no args, and even though I can't seem to get the functionality I want, I don't think this problem is worth your time any longer. Thanks for the quick response though. -- Joshua Kordani LSA Autonomy