all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bad font in shell mode
@ 2009-03-14 22:03 Brad from MA
From: Brad from MA @ 2009-03-14 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
  When I enter shell mode (M-x shell), I get a bunch of extraneous
characters printing out.  Instead of the bash command prompt '/home/user>'
it comes out as:

   ^[[1;32m/home/user^[[1;00m>

Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,
Brad

emacs 24.4.1
Asus eee, Xandros Debian os

* Re: bad font in shell mode
@ 2009-03-15  3:30 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-03-15  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Brad from MA <brad.l.miller@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>   When I enter shell mode (M-x shell), I get a bunch of extraneous
> characters printing out.  Instead of the bash command prompt '/home/user>'
> it comes out as:
>
>    ^[[1;32m/home/user^[[1;00m>
>
> Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Brad
YOu need add
(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)
for fix above problem.

You can try to use multi-shell.el, at
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/multi-shell.el

Regards,

  -- Andy

* Re: bad font in shell mode
@ 2009-03-15  8:55 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-03-15  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad from MA; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 14.03.2009 um 23:03 schrieb Brad from MA:

>    ^[[1;32m/home/user^[[1;00m>

You don't need to colourise the prompt with ANSI. GNU Emacs has its
own customisation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no place like ~
		– (UNIX Guru)

* Re: bad font in shell mode
@ 2009-03-15 14:41   ` Brad from MA
From: Brad from MA @ 2009-03-15 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thanks Andy, that did the trick.

I also added some configuration to change the colors to be more high
contrast (it defaulted to a neon-green, which was hard to see).  So in the
interests of helping others, here is my final .emacs shell-mode
configuration:

(setq ansi-color-names-vector ; better contrast colors
      ["black" "red4" "green4" "yellow4"
       "blue3" "magenta4" "cyan4" "white"])

(add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

Thanks to all who responded,
Brad