all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus and group filtering
@ 2013-06-27 13:43 Mike Ray
From: Mike Ray @ 2013-06-27 13:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I have Emacspeak running on Arch Linux on a Raspberry Pi computer.

I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to the
members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi users.

I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all the
active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get to grips
with how to show/filter groups to which I have not subscribed.

Here's the problem in detail:

1.  When I launch gnus I can show all active groups with `A A'.

2.  Scrolling through this list to find interesting groups is obviously
out of the question because it is thousands and thousands of groups.

3.  All other attempts to show groups, for instance with a regular
expression show no groups.

Presumably this is because of the 'levels' somehow.  It is this levels
thing I can't get to grips with.

How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python without
scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the comp.lang.* groups?

Thanks.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Don't just sit there, learn something

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/

 From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi hackers

* Re: gnus and group filtering
       [not found] <mailman.2588.1372349097.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-27 16:29 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-06-27 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Mike Ray <mike@raspberryvi.org> writes:

> I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to
> the members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi
> users.
>
> I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all
> the active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get
> to grips with how to show/filter groups to which I have not
> subscribed.
>
> Here's the problem in detail:
>
> 1.  When I launch gnus I can show all active groups with `A A'.
>
> 2.  Scrolling through this list to find interesting groups is
> obviously out of the question because it is thousands and
> thousands of groups.
>
> 3.  All other attempts to show groups, for instance with a
> regular expression show no groups.
>
> Presumably this is because of the 'levels' somehow.  It is this
> levels thing I can't get to grips with.
>
> How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python
> without scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the
> comp.lang.* groups?

First, there is gnu.emacs.gnus where you should send this. The
traffic there is sometimes sparse, but at least send it there, as
well. And don't feel ignored if you are - well, ignored.

I have not experienced your problem, so I can't give you a
solution. But check out a simple page I have on Gnus:

http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/index.html

and especially the .emacs-gnus file on that page. Note that that
is how I called the file, and it is loaded explicitly from my
.emacs - it is somewhat nonstandard, but basically it is just like
.emacs, .zshrc or any other init/config file.

But, even more to the point, what's *not* on that page is a file
called

~/.newsrc

that could look like this:

alt.hacker: 1-4958
comp.lang.lisp: 1-50400
comp.lang.perl.misc: 1-28118
rec.sport.boxing: 1-12261
comp.unix.misc! 1-331
comp.unix.programmer! 1-14380
comp.unix.shell: 1-21522
gnu.emacs.gnus: 1-5108
gnu.emacs.help: 1-32422
comp.os.linux: 1-15
alt.test! 1-231804

If my file looks like that, then those are the groups that I get.

--
Emanuel Berg - programmer (hire me! CV below)
computer projects: http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: gnus and group filtering
@ 2013-06-27 18:51 ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-06-27 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ; +Cc: info-gnus-english-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Mike,

Mike Ray <mike-FnsA7b+Nu9V7HKr8heIy4g@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have Emacspeak running on Arch Linux on a Raspberry Pi computer.
>
> I am trying to use gnus to provide newsgroup, RSS and email to the
> members of my community for visually impaired Raspberry Pi users.
>
> I have a .gnus file which is allowing me to correctly show all the
> active newsgroups on freenews.netfront.net, but I can't get to grips
> with how to show/filter groups to which I have not subscribed.
>
> Here's the problem in detail:

[...]

> How can I get to subscribe to, for example comp.lang.python without
> scrolling through thousand of alt groups to get to the comp.lang.*
> groups?

There are some other commands you can use to more efficiently wade
through the active file on the news server.  For your case, A M
(`gnus-group-list-all-matching').  Try A M python RET.

Also, U from the *Group* buffer will give you a completion-enabled
list.  This is a particularly quick way to search if you are also using
(setq gnus-completing-read-function 'gnus-ido-completing-read); you will
then have narrowing by partial matches in the prompt.

Best,
WGG

--
I'm dressing up in an ill-fitting IVY-LEAGUE SUIT!!  Too late...

* Re: gnus and group filtering
@ 2013-06-27 20:12   ` Mike Ray
From: Mike Ray @ 2013-06-27 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

There are some other commands you can use to more efficiently wade
through the active file on the news server. For your case, A M
(`gnus-group-list-all-matching'). Try A M python RET. Also, U from the
*Group* buffer will give you a completion-enabled list. This is a
particularly quick way to search if you are also using (setq
gnus-completing-read-function 'gnus-ido-completing-read); you will then
have narrowing by partial matches in the prompt. Best, WGG

Thanks very much that's very useful.  I have gotten a little further
with it today.  I have managed to subscribe to a few groups and read one
or two posts including one which contained how to config gnus for IMAP,
which is my next task.

Now I have the problem of understanding why the posts all disappear when
I close Emacspeak and go back in.

I will get there.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Don't just sit there, learn something

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/

 From where you can join our mailing list for visually-impaired Pi hackers