all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 12:58 Pablo
From: Pablo @ 2013-06-20 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm looking for all kind of help on using python in Emacs.
I've problems in getting the right python version running on Emacs.
I've problems on getting pymacs working. and so on.

All kind of help will be much appreciated!

Thank you!

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 15:45 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-20 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.06.2013 14:58, schrieb Pablo:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for all kind of help on using python in Emacs.
> I've problems in getting the right python version running on Emacs.
> I've problems on getting pymacs working. and so on.
>

> All kind of help will be much appreciated!
>
> Thank you!

Please give a description what you did, what you expect and what happened.
For example send the error-message. Some example code might help also.

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 16:08   ` Pablo
From: Pablo @ 2013-06-20 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Well..
I'm trying to get things working with pymacs. I followed some instructions
from a blog

(http://www.jesshamrick.com/2012/09/18/emacs-as-a-python-ide/)

 but i keep on running in to problems.

this is my .emacs.d/ directory:

ac-comphist.dat
auto-complete-1.3.1		pymacs-0.25/
auto-save-list			python-mode.el-6.1.1/
color-theme-6.6.0		ropemacs-0.7/
elpa				        settings/
fill-column-indicator-1.83	site-lisp/
highlight-current-line-0.57	tutorial

For example there is some files that should be compiled(?) with either
python or "make".
The python version that I use is 2.7.5. I have installed ipython in that
version.

So doing a python setpu.py install maybe associates pymacs to python2.7.5
but Emacs uses version 2.7.2.

When I start emacs I get:

         Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `.emacs':

          File error: Cannot open load file, pymacs

If I run a python-file from inside emacs I get the the error message:
          searching for program: no such file or directory, ipython

I have installed everything mentioned in that blog. I'm new to Emacs so I
cant really see whats wrong.

Could it be the python version that causes the problem?

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 16:50     ` Vlad Piersec
From: Vlad Piersec @ 2013-06-20 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

You could elpy https://github.com/jorgenschaefer/elpy

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM, Pablo <pabloSancho09@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well..
> I'm trying to get things working with pymacs. I followed some instructions
> from a blog
>
> (http://www.jesshamrick.com/2012/09/18/emacs-as-a-python-ide/)
>
>  but i keep on running in to problems.
>
> this is my .emacs.d/ directory:
>
> ac-comphist.dat
> auto-complete-1.3.1             pymacs-0.25/
> auto-save-list                  python-mode.el-6.1.1/
> color-theme-6.6.0               ropemacs-0.7/
> elpa                                    settings/
> fill-column-indicator-1.83      site-lisp/
> highlight-current-line-0.57     tutorial
>

> For example there is some files that should be compiled(?) with either
> python or "make".
> The python version that I use is 2.7.5. I have installed ipython in that
> version.
>
> So doing a python setpu.py install maybe associates pymacs to python2.7.5
> but Emacs uses version 2.7.2.
>
> When I start emacs I get:
>
>          Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading
> `.emacs':
>
>           File error: Cannot open load file, pymacs
>
> If I run a python-file from inside emacs I get the the error message:
>           searching for program: no such file or directory, ipython
>
> I have installed everything mentioned in that blog. I'm new to Emacs so I
> cant really see whats wrong.
>
> Could it be the python version that causes the problem?
>

> --

*Vlad Piersec Alexandru*

*Tel:* +40 743 025 820

*Google Talk:* vlad.piersec

*Google+: *Profile <https://plus.google.com/109681304217886469166>
*LinkedIN:* linkedin.com/in/vladpiersec
*Twitter: *@caisah_ <http://twitter.com/#!/caisah_>
*Blog:* http://caisah.info

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 17:25     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-20 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.06.2013 18:08, schrieb Pablo:
> Well..
> I'm trying to get things working with pymacs. I followed some instructions
> from a blog
>
> (http://www.jesshamrick.com/2012/09/18/emacs-as-a-python-ide/)
>
>   but i keep on running in to problems.
>
> this is my .emacs.d/ directory:
>
> ac-comphist.dat
> auto-complete-1.3.1		pymacs-0.25/
> auto-save-list			python-mode.el-6.1.1/
> color-theme-6.6.0		ropemacs-0.7/
> elpa				        settings/
> fill-column-indicator-1.83	site-lisp/
> highlight-current-line-0.57	tutorial
>

> For example there is some files that should be compiled(?) with either
> python or "make".
> The python version that I use is 2.7.5. I have installed ipython in that
> version.
>
> So doing a python setpu.py install maybe associates pymacs to python2.7.5
> but Emacs uses version 2.7.2.
>
> When I start emacs I get:
>
>           Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `.emacs':
>
>            File error: Cannot open load file, pymacs
>
> If I run a python-file from inside emacs I get the the error message:
>            searching for program: no such file or directory, ipython
>
> I have installed everything mentioned in that blog. I'm new to Emacs

Hi Pablo,

congratulations using Emacs.
Emacs is built to be extensible - which is really a joy.
However, things are changing everywhere, making all these parts work together is a ongoing task.

When new to Emacs, strongly recommend to stick with the stuff delivered.
If Python exists at your machine, work with it - don't install other stuff.
Beside you may load python-mode.el just as is.
No Pymacs is required for it's core function.

Maybe get a current python-mode.el:

https://code.launchpad.net/python-mode

Please file questions at
https://answers.launchpad.net/python-mode

and report bugs at

https://bugs.launchpad.net/python-mode

BTW Pymacs needs to be compiled using make.

Cheers,

Andreas

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-20 20:46     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-20 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I followed some instructions from a blog

Such things tend to be fiddly, and we can't really help you with them:
better ask the blogger, then.

>           File error: Cannot open load file, pymacs

This means that Emacs can't find the "pymacs.el" file (i.e. either the
file is missing, or the Emacs's `load-path' does not include the
directory where that file can be found).

>           searching for program: no such file or directory, ipython

That means Emacs can't find the "ipython" executable.  You need to make
sure that executable can be found in one of the directories mentioned in
`exec-path' (which is initialized from the $PATH environment variable,
so you generally set $PATH rather than `exec-path').

I suggest you start by trying out the Python support that comes with
Emacs, and then build from there.

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
       [not found] <mailman.2081.1371741026.22516.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-06-21 13:44 ` rustompmody
From: rustompmody @ 2013-06-21 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:28:12 PM UTC+5:30, Pablo wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I'm looking for all kind of help on using python in Emacs.
> I've problems in getting the right python version running on Emacs.
> I've problems on getting pymacs working. and so on.

I suggest you treat the 4 things separately:
python
python-mode
ipython
pymacs

in that order.

ie first check that python runs outside emacs
then inside a shell inside emacs
then try out python-mode
then ipython
then pymacs

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-21 13:53   ` rustompmody
From: rustompmody @ 2013-06-21 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:14:13 PM UTC+5:30, rusto...@gmail.com wrote:
> I suggest you treat the 4 things separately:
> python
> python-mode
> ipython
> pymacs

Sorry cancel that -- I did not notice that your question was specific to pymacs

* Re: Python-mode.el/pymacs/Python version on Emacs
@ 2013-06-21 18:44     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-21 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 21.06.2013 15:53, schrieb rustompmody@gmail.com:
> On Friday, June 21, 2013 7:14:13 PM UTC+5:30, rusto...@gmail.com wrote:
>> I suggest you treat the 4 things separately:
>> python
>> python-mode
>> ipython
>> pymacs
>
> Sorry cancel that -- I did not notice that your question was specific to pymacs

IMO your recommendations are helpful for all starting with Emacs and Python. No reason to cancel it.
Was a pleasure to read it that neatly listed up.

Andreas