all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* advance char
@ 2013-06-06  8:16 Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-06  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Hi,

I'm looking for a command, which would replace character at point by its successor in alphabet.

I.e. make B from A, C from B etc.

Pretty sure it exists somewhere.

TIA,

Andreas

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06  9:01 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-06-06  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

Hi,

> I'm looking for a command, which would replace character at point by
> its successor in alphabet.
>
> I.e. make B from A, C from B etc.
>
> Pretty sure it exists somewhere.

not sure if this helps, but

,---------------------------
| (integerp ?a)
|
| (characterp ?a)
|
| (format "%s %s %s" ?a?b?c)
| "97 98 99"
`---------------------------

so

,--------
| (1+ ?a)
`--------

might do the job if you find a way to make Emacs to make Emacs print a
character as String (its char representation, not its integer
representation.

This does not work:

,---------------------------
`---------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06  9:09 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-06-06  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a command, which would replace character at point by its successor in alphabet.
>
> I.e. make B from A, C from B etc.
>
> Pretty sure it exists somewhere.

C-M-% . RET \,(char-to-string (1+ (string-to-char \&))) RET

See last few paragraphs of (info "(emacs) Regexp Replace")

> TIA,
>
> Andreas

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06  9:25 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-06-06  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler [2013-06-06 10:16:22 +02:00] wrote:

> I'm looking for a command, which would replace character at point by
> its successor in alphabet.
>
> I.e. make B from A, C from B etc.

"Successor in alphabet" may vary between languages but if successor in
character codes suits you, it's very simple:

    (defun shift-char-after ()
      (interactive)
      (save-excursion
        (insert (1+ (char-after)))
        (delete-char 1)))

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06 11:14   ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-06 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org List

Am 06.06.2013 11:25, schrieb Teemu Likonen:
> Andreas Röhler [2013-06-06 10:16:22 +02:00] wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for a command, which would replace character at point by
>> its successor in alphabet.
>>
>> I.e. make B from A, C from B etc.
>
> "Successor in alphabet" may vary between languages but if successor in
> character codes suits you, it's very simple:
>
>      (defun shift-char-after ()
>        (interactive)
>        (save-excursion
>          (insert (1+ (char-after)))
>          (delete-char 1)))

Thanks all responding!

BTW suggest to take shift-char into simple.el

Andreas

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06 13:01     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-06-06 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> BTW suggest to take shift-char into simple.el

It's the first time I see someone need it, in my almost 20 years of
hacking on Emacs.  So, adding it to simple.el sounds like a really
outlandish proposition.

* Re: advance char
@ 2013-06-06 14:33       ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-06-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2013 15:01, schrieb Stefan Monnier:
>> BTW suggest to take shift-char into simple.el
>
> It's the first time I see someone need it, in my almost 20 years of
> hacking on Emacs.  So, adding it to simple.el sounds like a really
> outlandish proposition.
>

>          Stefan

Needed a couple of function/regexp pairs which where named right-down the alphabet, up/downcased again and so on.

For the latter command `reverse-chars' exists already:

(defun reverse-chars (&optional arg)
   "Reverse reciproke chars as \"[\" to \"]\", upcase or downcase,
Switch `\"' with `''

If over a number, add ARG to it.
With negative arg, substract from number.

[ ... ]

;;;;;;;

People interested in this and related basic stuff might have a look into misc-utils.el

at

https://launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/