all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to disable fancy completion in minibuffer ?
@ 2013-05-06 12:21 Alexandre Oberlin
From: Alexandre Oberlin @ 2013-05-06 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Like most today's software, emacs now may force the fancy refinements that
its developers imagine or reproduce onto the average user that does not
care a hoot for them and has no desire to change his habits. I already had
such problems with tramp mode etc.

The difference with many other software programs is that I know that even
if emacs now puts its smarties by default like the others, I should at
least be able to get rid of it. However it is not always that easy.

I have been enduring the new smart minibuffer completion for a while and
now I just won't take it any more. The recent versions of emacs complete
the minibuffer strings in a way that is just not for me. If I type a "z"
as first character, I want the "zap" or "zen" completion choice, not
"buzz" nor "paz". If there is no completion beginning with z, I want
nothing. Period.

I tried dynamic-completion-mode with no avail.

Hints ?

Alexandre

--
Alexandre Oberlin
http://www.migo.info

In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.
                 Alan Perlis