all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-27 19:21 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-27 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I've tried a few times to get started using org-mode for hierarchical
lists. But every single time I try to look for some tutorials or intro
pages, I get an overwhelming list, and the vast majority of them don't
even seem to talk about working with hierarchical lists, but rather
all the *other* things you can do in org-mode.

Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists? I basically mean
something like html's [ul] and [li] elements, nested.

-Steven

* Re: org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-27 19:25 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2013-04-27 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Steven Degutis [2013-04-27 14:21:20 -05:00] wrote:

> Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
> on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists?

I don't think there are manual _just_ for that. I think you should study
the "Plain lists" section of the manual:

http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html#Plain-lists

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 835 bytes --]

* Re: org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-28  6:50   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-28  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: Steven Degutis, help-gnu-emacs

Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:

> Steven Degutis [2013-04-27 14:21:20 -05:00] wrote:
>
>> Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
>> on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists?
>
> I don't think there are manual _just_ for that. I think you should study
> the "Plain lists" section of the manual:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html#Plain-lists

Indeed.  Also, Worg is edited by the community, so if you want to add
a new tutorial or reorganize the existing ones, just send your public
key to either me or Carsten, we will give you write access to the Worg
git repository.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-28  7:18   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-04-28  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: Steven Degutis, help-gnu-emacs

The checkboxes documentation could be ambiguous because the first time
the string that sets up a checkbox is mentioned, it appears split onto
two adjacent lines at least in the lynx browser.  I would be interested
to know if lynx is unique in this or if other browsers also split that
line.

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> Steven Degutis [2013-04-27 14:21:20 -05:00] wrote:
>
> > Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
> > on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists?
>
> I don't think there are manual _just_ for that. I think you should study
> the "Plain lists" section of the manual:
>
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-lists.html#Plain-lists

jude <jdashiel@shellworld.net>
Microsoft, windows is accessible. why do blind people need screen readers?

* Re: org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-28  7:21 ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2013-04-28  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

My guess is hierarchical lists are made hierarchical by means of different
indentation levels.  You start out with top hierarchy level and a first
plain list.  Then move one level down hierarchy by using one indent level.

@ 2013-04-28  7:58 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-28  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steven Degutis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
> on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists? I basically mean
> something like html's [ul] and [li] elements, nested.

Maybe we forgot to mention the "obvious": use M-<right> to nest a list
item, and M-<left> to "unnest" it.

--
 Bastien

* Re: org-mode tutorial?
@ 2013-04-28  9:07     ` Tamas K Papp
From: Tamas K Papp @ 2013-04-28  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Apr 28 2013, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> The checkboxes documentation could be ambiguous because the first time
> the string that sets up a checkbox is mentioned, it appears split onto
> two adjacent lines at least in the lynx browser.  I would be interested
> to know if lynx is unique in this or if other browsers also split that
> line.

You can make it happen in Firefox, if my guess is correct then the HTML
for the text you are referring to is

which can indeed break on the space.  I guess you could report a bug
about it, a possible fix would be setting the white space property [1]
to something else than 'normal'.

Best,

Tamas

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/text.html#white-space-prop

* actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]
@ 2013-04-28 11:31   ` ken
From: ken @ 2013-04-28 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: Steven Degutis

n 04/28/2013 03:58 AM Bastien wrote:
> Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Can someone please point me to a really basic tutorial or explanation
>> on how to use org-mode to create hierarchical lists? I basically mean
>> something like html's [ul] and [li] elements, nested.
>
> Maybe we forgot to mention the "obvious": use M-<right> to nest a list
> item, and M-<left> to "unnest" it.

I'm curious about org-mode also.  This is the first I've heard that it
can handle html.  But does it handle actual html or does it need some
other kind of code (as is found often in wikis) which represents html?
I mean, does org-mode understand html text like this:

<head>
... a few dozen lines of <meta.../> and other stuff ...
</head>

<h1 ...>Major heading</h1>

<h2 ...>Sub-heading</h2>

course with its own 'p' tags.

<h2 ...>Another sub-heading</h2>

In a longer document of the sort above, I might want to manipulate it in
a number of different ways:

- "collapse" the display of the document to display just the headings,
just the 'h1' tags and text within them.  Can org-mode do that?

- then "unhide"-- i.e., display-- selected sub-headings.  Does org-mode
do this?

- "unhide" (display) all 'h2'-tagged subheadings.

- "unhide" (display) all 'h3'-tagged subheadings.

- "unhide" (display) all subheadings: e.g., 'h1' through 'h7'. (I
believe h7 is the highest of the 'h' tags for some reason.)

- selectively (in different ways) "unhide" paragraphs.

- select a particular subheading, say one chosen 'h3' tag, which by
default includes all the text under it (until the next 'h3' tag,
including zero or more 'h4' and higher tags), and then move that to
another location within the document.

- similarly, select a particular paragraph and move it to another
location within that document.

- or select a paragraph and copy it to another location in the document.

If org-mode can't do these things, is there some other mode which can?

A few years ago I played around with org-mode for a day or two, but
couldn't figure out what it was doing... or how to do what I needed to
do... and so then not either whether it would do what I needed.  So I
gave up on it.  Since the topic came up again, I thought maybe someone
here would know enough about it to address some of the basics.

tia,
ken

* Re: actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]
@ 2013-04-29 14:57     ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-29 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Steven Degutis

Hi Ken,

did you try Org-mode or read the manual?  There are many resources
out there, you should have a look.

As for dealing with HTML, Org can export to HTML, and you can use
`orgstruct-mode' and `orgtbl-mode' within an HTML buffer, then add
lists and tables and export/convert these lists/tables.

But you cannot manipulate HTML code directly.

See the manual and tutorials for more details.

HTH,

--
 Bastien

* Re: actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]
@ 2013-04-29 15:32       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2013-04-29 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ken; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Steven Degutis

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> As for dealing with HTML, Org can export to HTML, and you can use
> `orgstruct-mode' and `orgtbl-mode' within an HTML buffer, then add
> lists and tables and export/convert these lists/tables.
>
> But you cannot manipulate HTML code directly.

For an example of what I mention above, see this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQAd41VAXWo

--
 Bastien

* Re: actual html or something else? [was: Re: org-mode tutorial?]
@ 2013-04-29 18:28       ` ken
From: ken @ 2013-04-29 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Steven Degutis

n 04/29/2013 10:57 AM Bastien wrote:

> But you cannot manipulate HTML code directly.

Thanks, Bastien.  I guess I should have asked just this question
first... could have saved myself a lot of time.

> See the manual and tutorials for more details.

I don't know what org-mode is supposed to help me (or anyone else)
accomplish.  So it's not actually useful to me at this point for
anything that I know of.  Perhaps in future....

Thanks again.