all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-22 17:08 Gallagher, Kevin
From: Gallagher, Kevin @ 2007-08-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org mailing
list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

After entering "M-x gdb", the input line in the minibuffer is seeded
with
the default gdb command followd by the previously debugged executable.
I erased the previous filename and then added a partial filename,
pressed
TAB, and the possible completions were displayed, as expected.  After
selecting a filename with the mouse, the default gdb command was
entirely erased, leaving only the selected filename at the prompt in the
minibuffer.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/users/gallagk/usr/local/share/emacs/22.1/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2007-06-08 on houfcs3
Windowing system distributor `AT&T Laboratories Cambridge', version
11.0.3332
configured using `configure  '--prefix=/users/gallagk/usr/local''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: C
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-2> <mouse-2> C-g <escape> x r e p o r <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
Type space to flush; repeat completion command to scroll
Quit

Kevin Gallagher
FCS SOSCOE System Services
The Boeing Company
281-740-5207
Hours:  9:00 - 5:30 CT

* Re: In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-23  5:45 ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-08-23  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gallagher, Kevin; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

 > After entering "M-x gdb", the input line in the minibuffer is seeded
 > with
 > the default gdb command followd by the previously debugged executable.
 > I erased the previous filename and then added a partial filename,
 > pressed
 > TAB, and the possible completions were displayed, as expected.  After
 > selecting a filename with the mouse, the default gdb command was
 > entirely erased, leaving only the selected filename at the prompt in the
 > minibuffer.

It's small comfort but I think completion has always worked this way in the
minibuffer.  M-! (shell-command) is similar but here TAB has no special binding
in the minibuffer.  However, I think it's worth keeping the binding for gdb
because it works if there is just one possible completion and provides a
listing when there is more than one.

Having said all that, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make it
work but I don't know how.  If someone can provide a patch I'll be happy to
apply it.

* Re: In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-23 20:59 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-08-23 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gallagher, Kevin; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Can you determine a a *precise* test case for this bug?  The test
case should start with `emacs -q', so that your .emacs file does not
affect it, and it should show exactly what text to put in the buffer,
what commands to execute, and how and where to click.

With this, we will be able to debug it.

* RE: In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-23 21:35   ` Gallagher, Kevin
From: Gallagher, Kevin @ 2007-08-23 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Sure.  (I did start emacs with -Q, previously, when I tested
and reported the bug.  The behavior is no different if started
with -q.)

1.  cd to a directory which contains two or more executables
beginning with the same first few letters, e.g. testOne,
testTwo, and testThree.

2.  Run "emacs -Q &"

3.  Start the debugger:  "M-x gdb"

4.  In the minibuffer, you should see the gdb prompt followed
    by "gdb --annotate=3 testOne".

5.  Delete the last three characters "One", then press TAB.

6.  The *Completions* buffer will appear.  Click <mouse-2>
    on the filename "testTwo".

7.  In the minibuffer, after the prompt, only "testTwo" will
    remain.  The filename selected in the *Completions* buffer
    replaced the entire text after the prompt, instead of
    just replacing the incomplete word at the end of the line.

Kevin Gallagher
FCS SOSCOE System Services
The Boeing Company
281-740-5207

@ 2007-08-24  9:05   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-24  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Kevin.Gallagher

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 17:45:04 +1200
> Cc: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Having said all that, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make it
> work but I don't know how.  If someone can provide a patch I'll be happy to
> apply it.

I don't have time to provide a complete tested patch, but I think you
can find the right way of TAB completing in the minibuffer in one of
the Eshell *.el files, since Eshell actually does TRT.

* Re: In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-24 11:23     ` Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2007-08-24 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Kevin.Gallagher

 > > Having said all that, I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible to make
 > > it work but I don't know how.  If someone can provide a patch I'll be
 > > happy to apply it.
 >
 > I don't have time to provide a comeplete tested patch, but I think you
 > can find the right way of TAB completing in the minibuffer in one of
 > the Eshell *.el files, since Eshell actually does TRT.

Are you sure?  If I do "M-x eshell-command" and then:

  Emacs shell command: ls -l ~/my<TAB>

and select myprog in the completions buffer, I end up with:

  Emacs shell command: myprog

just like I do with GDB.

* Re: In "M-x gdb", filename completion with mouse erases the default gdb command
@ 2007-08-24 12:32       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-08-24 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nick Roberts; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Kevin.Gallagher

> From: Nick Roberts <nickrob@snap.net.nz>
> Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:23:38 +1200
> Cc: Kevin.Gallagher@boeing.com, bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
>  > I don't have time to provide a comeplete tested patch, but I think you
>  > can find the right way of TAB completing in the minibuffer in one of
>  > the Eshell *.el files, since Eshell actually does TRT.
>
> Are you sure?  If I do "M-x eshell-command" and then:
>
>   Emacs shell command: ls -l ~/my<TAB>
>
> and select myprog in the completions buffer, I end up with:
>
>   Emacs shell command: myprog
>
> just like I do with GDB.

You are right, it doesn't work, sorry.  I'm quite sure it did in the
past, so maybe Eshell, too, needs fixing.