all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
@ 2013-03-11 19:31 Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-11 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine
for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too
short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of
code, making it hard to edit the desired line.

This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as
well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.

Can someone help me modify my `~/.emacs` to prevent these line skips from
happening?

I'm using Homebrew Emacs 24.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us

* Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
@ 2013-03-12 10:04 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.21919.1363082690.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-03-12 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrew Pennebaker; +Cc: Emacs Help

Am 11.03.2013 um 20:31 schrieb Andrew Pennebaker:

> When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine
> for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too
> short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of
> code, making it hard to edit the desired line.
>
> This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as
> well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.

The reason for this is a user-friendly behaviour: near the vertical ends of the buffer performs some jump-scroll to instantly show more of the hidden buffer contents.

I don't know exactly how to cure the effect, maybe setting scroll-margin and scroll-step can adjust the behaviour to your likings.

Making the window higher would also help…

--
Greetings

  Pete

Increase the size of your bike by at least *five* inches!

@ 2013-03-12 13:03   ` Damien Wyart
From: Damien Wyart @ 2013-03-12 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> in gnu.emacs.help:
> > When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just
> > fine for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window
> > gets too short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip
> > "paragraphs" of code, making it hard to edit the desired line.

> The reason for this is a user-friendly behaviour: near the vertical
> ends of the buffer performs some jump-scroll to instantly show more of
> the hidden buffer contents.

> I don't know exactly how to cure the effect, maybe setting
> scroll-margin and scroll-step can adjust the behaviour to your
> likings.

The documentation for scroll-step says :

  If you want scrolling to always be a line at a time, you should set
  `scroll-conservatively' to a large value rather than set this to 1.

According to scroll-conservatively documentation, such a large value
should be more than 100.

--
DW

@ 2013-03-12 16:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-12 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:31:45 -0400
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
>
> When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine
> for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too
> short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of
> code, making it hard to edit the desired line.
>
> This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as
> well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.
>
> Can someone help me modify my `~/.emacs` to prevent these line skips from
> happening?
>
> I'm using Homebrew Emacs 24.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

This might or might not be a bug.  Can you try the latest Emacs 24.3,
released just yesterday?  If the problem persists there, come back
here and describe the way of reproducing the problem starting with
"emacs -Q".  Maybe it's a feature, in which case there are some
scroll-* variables whose customization could help you.  Or maybe it's
a bug that wasn't yet fixed.

* Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
@ 2013-03-12 16:18   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-12 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:04:35 +0100
> Cc: Emacs Help <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>
> > When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine
> > for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too
> > short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of
> > code, making it hard to edit the desired line.
> >
> > This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as
> > well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.
>
> The reason for this is a user-friendly behaviour: near the vertical ends of the buffer performs some jump-scroll to instantly show more of the hidden buffer contents.

But even then it shouldn't move by paragraphs.  So it's either a bug
or some of the OP's customizations request that.

* Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
@ 2013-03-12 17:29     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-03-12 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.03.2013 um 17:18 schrieb Eli Zaretskii:

> But even then it shouldn't move by paragraphs.

I assumed the effect was looking like that. Humans can be so inexact…

--
Greetings

  Pete

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

* Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
@ 2013-03-12 20:14       ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-12 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help

Yes, I've tried emacs -Q and setq'ing scroll-conservatively to large
integer values.

The behavior remains the same, by which I mean, attempting to move the
cursor one line past the vertical window limit results in the cursor
jumping over the desired line, making edits in short windows difficult.

@ 2013-03-13  3:31         ` Andrew Pennebaker
From: Andrew Pennebaker @ 2013-03-13  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help