all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* $HOME var
@ 2003-03-07 10:13 Anthony G
From: Anthony G @ 2003-03-07 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I have a minor problem with Emacs for windows. Emacs works great on my Linux system at home, but at College where I spend a considerable amount of time coding, I have to use windows 2000.
The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are set & locked on login. I can't add or change them, and command.exe is locked out. $HOME, for some FUBAR reason, is set to C:\, yet I don't have write permission FOR C:\. This means when I'm halfway through editing a file, emacs tries to save '.emacs.d' (or similar) to C: every microsecond. It doesn't hang, but It's so occupied in saving the file, that I need to enter commands quickly. I can't disable it in .emacs, because I can't save anything to $HOME (C:\), including .emacs.
Can I change $HOME in the emacs lisp files, or even an argument?

I'm an *ex* vim user, and enjoy learning emacs, but not being able to use emacs instead of the lame IDE that comes with the College's Java package, is a problem that needs to be resolved.

Thanks,

/Tony

* RE: $HOME var
@ 2003-03-07 10:49 Victor Kirk
From: Victor Kirk @ 2003-03-07 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are
> set & locked on login. I can't add or change them, and
> command.exe is locked out. $HOME, for some FUBAR reason, is
> set to C:\, yet I don't have write permission FOR C:\.

you could alway run emacs from a batch file and set %HOME% before
emcs executes, emacs will inherit the HOME variable from there, e.g.

set HOME=d:\mydir
runemacs

> Can I change $HOME in the emacs lisp files, or even an argument?

M-x apropos setenv

Vic
--

This message, including attachments, is intended only for the use by the
person(s) to whom it is addressed. It may contain information which is

* Re: $HOME var
       [not found] <mailman.2931.1047032076.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-07 11:21 ` Torsten Müller
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Torsten Müller @ 2003-03-07 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anthony G wrote:

> The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are set &
> locked on login. I can't add or change them, and command.exe is
> locked out.

This is not correct. Surely you can set user specific environment
variables. There's a page in the "System" dialog of the Windows Control
Panel. After setting your variables you must log off and on again, and
then they are working.

T.M.

* Re: $HOME var
@ 2003-03-07 18:48   ` Bijan Soleymani
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-03-07 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Torsten Müller <Homunkulus@gmx.net> writes:

> Anthony G wrote:
>
> > The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are set &
> > locked on login. I can't add or change them, and command.exe is
> > locked out.
>
> This is not correct. Surely you can set user specific environment
> variables. There's a page in the "System" dialog of the Windows Control
> Panel. After setting your variables you must log off and on again, and
> then they are working.

At my school this part of the control panel is blocked. I don't know
about his school but I would assume the same. The best way to get
around this is make a batch file as follows:
set HOME=c:\directory\that\i\want
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\emacs_directory\bin\
runemacs.exe

Basically have the first line set your home.
Have the second set your path to include emacs.
Then just have it run emacs.

P.S. Your school is evil for making you use Windows :)

Hope that helps,
Bijan

@ 2003-03-07 18:51 ` Bijan Soleymani
       [not found] ` <mailman.2983.1047115759.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bijan Soleymani @ 2003-03-07 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Anthony G <goggs@bur.st> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I have a minor problem with Emacs for windows. Emacs works great on my Linux system at home, but at College where I spend a considerable amount of time coding, I have to use windows 2000.
> The problem is as follows; Windows environment variables are set & locked on login. I can't add or change them, and command.exe is locked out. $HOME, for some FUBAR reason, is set to C:\, yet I don't have write permission FOR C:\. This means when I'm halfway through editing a file, emacs tries to save '.emacs.d' (or similar) to C: every microsecond. It doesn't hang, but It's so occupied in saving the file, that I need to enter commands quickly. I can't disable it in .emacs, because I can't save anything to $HOME (C:\), including .emacs.
> Can I change $HOME in the emacs lisp files, or even an argument?
make a batch file as follows:
set HOME=X:\directory\that\i\want       (where X is the drive you want)
set PATH=%PATH%;c:\emacs_directory\bin\ (or wherever emacs is)
runemacs.exe                            (or whatever executable runs emacs)

call it emacs.bat and put it on your desktop or wherever.

@ 2003-03-07 21:38 ` Chris McMahan
       [not found] ` <mailman.2983.1047115759.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chris McMahan @ 2003-03-07 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why not set the environment variables from within emacs? This won't
help you load the .emacs file itself, but you can modify the icon with
which you launch emacs to load that file as a command-line switch.

runemacs.exe -l <path to your .emacs file>

within your .emacs, use the format to set the environment variables:

(setenv "VARIABLE"  "value")

So to set your HOME variable from within emacs,
(setenv "HOME" "c:/documents\ and\ settings/username")

I may be completely missing something here, because I'm pretty heavily
embroiled into the cygwin environment on XP.

 - Chris

--
     (.   .)
  =ooO=(_)=Ooo========================

* Re: $HOME var
@ 2003-03-08  9:24   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-08  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Chris McMahan <cmcmahan+n@one.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 07 Mar 2003 16:38:33 -0500
>
> So to set your HOME variable from within emacs,
> (setenv "HOME" "c:/documents\ and\ settings/username")

I don't recomment this: it creates a dangerous disparity between the
environment used by Emacs and the environment passed by Emacs to its
subprocesses.  In the archives of this thread, you will find many
examples of trouble into which this could get unsuspecting users.

* Re: $HOME var
       [not found] ` <mailman.2983.1047115759.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-03-10 19:07   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-03-10 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>From: Chris McMahan <cmcmahan+n@one.net>
>>Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
>>Date: 07 Mar 2003 16:38:33 -0500
>>
>>So to set your HOME variable from within emacs,
>>(setenv "HOME" "c:/documents\ and\ settings/username")
>>

> I don't recomment this: it creates a dangerous disparity between the
> environment used by Emacs and the environment passed by Emacs to its
> subprocesses.  In the archives of this thread, you will find many
> examples of trouble into which this could get unsuspecting users.

How could that be?  setenv updates process-environment, which is the environment
passed to subprocesses -- isn't it?

--

* Re: $HOME var
@ 2003-03-11  4:31     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-11  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Kevin Rodgers <kevin.rodgers@ihs.com>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:07:35 -0700
> >
> > I don't recomment this: it creates a dangerous disparity between the
> > environment used by Emacs and the environment passed by Emacs to its
> > subprocesses.  In the archives of this thread, you will find many
> > examples of trouble into which this could get unsuspecting users.
>
> How could that be?  setenv updates process-environment, which is the environment
> passed to subprocesses -- isn't it?

Yes.  But the environment used by Emacs itself is unaffected by
setenv.