On 02/25/13 11:57, Glenn Morris wrote: >> . > > AFAICS, all that thread says is "we should remove this because it never > worked", when in fact it did work just fine until recently. Yes, the discussion should have been clearer. This patch was prompted by a code inspection after fixing the bug mentioned in that thread; the patch does not fix the bug (the bug's already fixed). I tried to clarify this in the revised patch (attached). > So the motivation for this seems to be entirely as given in the NEWS > (which is not really where it belongs IMO) OK, I moved the motivation out of NEWS and into the ChangeLog entry. > No-one ever reported any (non-theoretical) > problems with it in practice, AFAIK. The problem is more likely to happen with today's changes to the MS-Windows side. And even if the problem was less likely, it's still a race condition that should get fixed -- the point of that lock file is to avoid races, after all.