On 01/03/2013 10:11 PM, Glenn Morris wrote: > Chong Yidong wrote: > >> Can someone summarize again a *correct* recipe to see the bug? > mkdir foo > cd foo > mkdir RCS > echo initial > file > ci -u -t-foo file > emacs-24.2 -Q file > > M-x toggle-read-only > > Enter some text in the buffer, eg now it looks like: > > ----- > initial > foobar > ----- > > Press C-x v v, and "foobar" is deleted with no prompting and no way to > get it back. > > I changed vc-mistrust-permissions to t for 24.3 because of this. > But now that I check, it doesn't seem to help... The problem described above may indeed be a problem, but it's not the problem I reported. The problem I reported is: mkdir foo cd foo mkdir RCS echo initial > file ci -u -t-foo file chmod +w file echo second >> file chmod -w file emacs -Q file C-x v v - the changes are overwritten without prompting I think the step missing from Chong Yidong's recipe was making sure the file is read-only before trying to edit it in emacs. If vc-mistrust-permissions is true by default then this issue doesn't occur. jik