all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
To: GNU Emacs List <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: upgrade nonsensifies fill-paragraph
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 13:15:10 -0500	[thread overview]

For quite a while I've been using the highest upgrade of emacs available
to RH/Centos 5.8, i.e., 21.4.  But because I wanted to start using
webdav functionality in emacs, I scrapped that and downloaded and
compiled version 22.1.1.  With this upgrade came problems (some of which
I've encountered and had to fix in previous upgrades).  One of these is
what "fill-paragraph" does.

I'll have a nicely formatted html unordered list, something like this:

<ul>
   <li>This is a longer line of text for a single list
   item.  We're going to use it to test to see how
   well
   word-wrapping works with this new version of emacs (22.1.1).  It's
   always a real pain to reformat list items so that they look nice.
  </li>
  <li>Another line of text is no problem just typing it in without
   editing anything which affects where the line-breaks are located.
   Everything is happy so far.
  </li>
  <li>Now a third line.  After typing in this, I'll move the point up to
   the first list item and try to reformat it with <kbd>M-q</kbd>.
  </li>
</ul>

Fairy readable, but I want to improve the first list item's formatting,
so I put the point between the first "<li>" and its matching "</li>" and
to M-q.  I get this:

<ul> <li>This is a longer line of text for a single list item.  We're
   going to use it to test to see how well word-wrapping works with this
   new version of emacs (22.1.1).  It's always a real pain to reformat
   list items so that they look nice.  </li> <li>Another line of text is
   no problem just typing it in without editing anything which affects
   where the line-breaks are located.  Everything is happy so far.  </li>
   <li>Now a third line.  After typing in this, I'll move the point up to
   </ul>

which is of course *much worse*.  And not how the previous version
behaved (with exactly the same ~/.emacs).

The problem, I believe, has to do with emacs' definition of what
signifies the end of a paragraph.  But I couldn't find any such
definition.  Any help?