On 10/30/2012 6:15 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > Hmm... that's odd. Can you give me some details: > - tell me exactly which text you typed in the minibuffer. I typed "c:\bin\" in the minibuffer and hit tab. After hitting tab, the minibuffer contained "c:/usr/bin", with point at the end. > - also tell me how the rfn-eshadow highlights the file name at each step. Now that you mention it, I do see that the leading "c:" in the minibuffer ishighlighted. That explains why we're substituting "c:/usr/bin" and not "/usr/bin". > Right. BTW I'm not convinced this is the right pattern to use for your > file-name-handler. I think catching "\\[a-zA-Z]:" or something along > these lines might be a better choice. Not all paths I want to catch are absolute, so looking for a drive letter won't catch everything. Even "absolute" paths can be drive-letter-relative and begin with a simple backslash. Looking for a backslash is convenient because no legitimate Cygwin path contains one. > BTW, does Cygwin allow backslashes in file-names or does it interpret it > as a separator, like Windows does? Cygwin interprets backslashes as separators.