all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Marcin Antczak <marcin.antczak@neutrico.pl>
To: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
Cc: 12536@debbugs.gnu.org, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: bug#12536: 24.2.50; Outdated emacs22 icons in repo
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2012 02:50:33 +0200	[thread overview]

W dniu 01.10.2012 02:31, Glenn Morris pisze:
> Glenn Morris wrote:
>
>> I suppose the emacs22 icons could be renamed to emacs_old.
> Although that doesn't help you either, if Emacs 24 and Emacs 25 both
> include them. You would have to rename them to emacs24_old and
> emacs25_old. :)
>
> Isn't installing under a separate prefix a better solution to the desire
> to have multiple Emacs versions installed? Then you just have a command
> to select which version you want, and add the relevant directories to
> PATH, MANPATH, INFOPATH.
Thing is that in debian packages you cannot have the same files in
different packages.

So, if we got emacs22 package - it has to contain icons renamed to
emacs22.png
For emacs23 - icons renamed to emacs23.png

And then debian can use it's alternatives system to choose which one
should act as emacs.png (symlinks).

True mess begins when upstream source named emacs23 still contains icons
like emacs22.png. At this situation maintainer has to fix debian/rules
or patch makefiles to avoid conflicts. This is time consuming and
unnecessary.

There is no reason to keep outdated icons in current release in my opinion.
emacs22.png files should end life in emacs22.tar.