all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru>
To: 12537@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: bug#12537: support for git commit --amend/--signoff
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 04:11:44 +0400	[thread overview]

Tags: patch

This is based on Dan Nicolaescu's patch from here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00784.html

I modified it according to Stefan's request, and made some other tweaks.

Notes:
1) Magit handles the Amend action in a similar way: it also inserts a
header at the top of the message edit buffer. I haven't seen any
complaints from users.
2) I haven't been able to make menu-bar keymap work as intended.
I copied log-edit-menu to the local menu-map variable, and it shows, but
if I don't set the parent keymap of vc-git-log-edit-mode-map to
log-edit-mode-map, the menu popup doesn't show the latter's keybindings
(and they likely don't work, haven't tried). If I do set it as parent,
then the "*VC-log*" mode line element menu only contains two elements,
but submenus, one for each keymap. I don't think that's optimal, so I
discarded the menu-map part altogether.
3) Toggling Amend on/off repeatedly may lead to slightly different
behavior if the commit message subject looks like a "header: value"
string, and especially if that's the only line in the message. The
difference would be in the added newlines, and the commit subject will
become highlighted as a header line.
To counteract this, Magit inserts a "-- magit header ends here --" line
after the headers. Not sure if we should do the same.
4) The new first argument format of log-edit-extract-headers is kinda
awkward, but it's the only way I could think of to make it
backwards-compatible, and I do think that this is the function that
should handle the yes/no headers logic. The third element in the new
form ("yes") is more or less superfluous (we could just hardcode it
everywhere as the only possible value for "true"), but without it, the
new form would look even more awkward. Suggestions welcome.

--Dmitry