all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* TAB's display width does not equals to 4-spaces' display width
@ 2004-12-16  3:29 Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2004-12-16  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

CVS version appears to be so, but not 21.3.1 release version.
OS: Linux & Win32
tab-width's value: 4

* Re: TAB's display width does not equals to 4-spaces' display width
@ 2004-12-16 10:08 ` Stephan Stahl
From: Stephan Stahl @ 2004-12-16 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi.

Sun Yijiang said:
> CVS version appears to be so, but not 21.3.1 release version.
> OS: Linux & Win32
> tab-width's value: 4

My emacsen have this set to 8. Both GNU/Linux and W32 no matter if
release or cvs.

Since the beginning of the world tab-width's value has been 8 :-).
And i guess it will stay this way even if some editors/IDEs have a
value of 4.

C-h v tab-width
You can customize this variable.
--
Stephan Stahl

* Re: TAB's display width does not equals to 4-spaces' display width
@ 2004-12-17  2:18   ` Sun Yijiang
From: Sun Yijiang @ 2004-12-17  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thanks. But it seems no matter my tab-width is 4 or 8 or any other
value, the problem remains the same: tab's display width does not
exactly match it's equal-spaces' display width.  Since emacs 21.3.1
and latest CVS version are both on my computer, and they make
different tab-width displays, I do think there's something to be fix.