all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* List all bindings in a keymap
@ 2012-09-24 12:01 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-09-24 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

How do I do that, short of traversing the keymap structure manually?

The doc recommends to use `map-keymap', but it doesn't exactly do what I
want, and if I try to use it recursively, it reliably blows up with
"max-lisp-eval-depth exceeded". Example snippet:

(defun scan-keymap (map)
  (map-keymap (lambda (event binding)
                (if (consp binding)
                    (progn (message "cdadr %s" (cdadr binding))
                           (scan-keymap (cdadr binding)))
                  (message "%s" binding))) diff-hl-mode-map))

(require 'js)
(scan-keymap js-mode-map)

--Dmitry

* RE: List all bindings in a keymap
@ 2012-09-24 13:59 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2012-09-24 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Dmitry Gutov, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Dmitry,

1. diff-hl-mode-map doesn't seem to be defined.
2. You haven't passed a keymap to (map-keymap) (second arg).
3. According to the info documentation of (map-keymap): "This function is the cleanest way to examine all the bindings in a keymap." (info node "Scanning Keymaps".)
While I'm hardly an expert on keymaps I would bet that that already recurses "in the right way". (That's my guess for "max-lisp-eval-depth exceeded".)

I hope this helps.

,Doug

@ 2012-09-24 14:22 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-09-24 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Dmitry Gutov', help-gnu-emacs

> How do I do that, short of traversing the keymap structure manually?

`describe-keymap', in help-fns+.el

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/help-fns%2b.el

* Re: List all bindings in a keymap
@ 2012-09-24 14:25   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-09-24 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Doug Lewan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Ouch!

On 24.09.2012 17:59, Doug Lewan wrote:
> 1. diff-hl-mode-map doesn't seem to be defined.

That was exactly the problem. It's a keymap I have defined, but I should
be using the function argument (map) instead.

Thanks for noticing!

@ 2012-09-24 20:05   ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-09-24 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 24.09.2012 18:22, Drew Adams wrote:
>> How do I do that, short of traversing the keymap structure manually?
>
> `describe-keymap', in help-fns+.el
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/help-fns%2b.el

Thanks, but I meant programmatically.
Specifically, I'm going to take all the bindings from my minor mode
keymap and do some stuff with them.

* Re: List all bindings in a keymap
@ 2012-09-24 21:13 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2012-09-24 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> How do I do that, short of traversing the keymap structure manually?
>
> The doc recommends to use `map-keymap', but it doesn't exactly do what I
> want, and if I try to use it recursively, it reliably blows up with
> "max-lisp-eval-depth exceeded". Example snippet:
>
> (defun scan-keymap (map)
>   (map-keymap (lambda (event binding)
>                 (if (consp binding)
>                     (progn (message "cdadr %s" (cdadr binding))
>                            (scan-keymap (cdadr binding)))
>                   (message "%s" binding))) diff-hl-mode-map))
>
> (require 'js)
> (scan-keymap js-mode-map)

Check
https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/blobs/blame/256fae6797241e707b3bc79cc7812a82074948a1/pjb-emacs.el#line1750

* Re: List all bindings in a keymap
@ 2012-09-25  0:09 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-09-25  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: pjb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Pascal J. Bourguignon" <pjb@informatimago.com> writes:

 > Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:
 >> How do I do that, short of traversing the keymap structure manually?
 >
 > Check

https://gitorious.org/com-informatimago/emacs/blobs/blame/256fae6797241e707b3bc79cc7812a82074948a1/pjb-emacs.el#line1750

Thanks, but I got a simpler solution with `map-keymap' working, see:

https://github.com/dgutov/diff-hl/blob/a01d2917a07d91269c13901bb65fd7ef54766fd4/diff-hl.el#L327