all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow
@ 2012-08-23 12:56 Martin Butz
From: Martin Butz @ 2012-08-23 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

since a few weeks I have some serious problem, while using emacs for
webdevelopement. I use (and would like to in future) nxhtml-mode. It
seems that this mode (or the underlying nxml-mode) causes emacs to
consume 100 % cpu-power - at least after a while. I can not spotify the
exact reason for this; in some cases it seem to be caused be validation.
Emacs says MEM FULL! (mode line), freezes and there's no other way as to
kill the process.

I setup a separate .emacs-webdev to use emacs for webdevelopement
without allmost any of my extensions/configuration, which I usually use.
This did work for a while, but as I had a crash today, it seems, that it
can happen anytime.

There might be some side effects concerning one or the other extension
but I have no clue how I can find out whats going on. It could also be
caused by some bug in nxhml/nxhtml-mode but I can not find any
information on the web, which seems to backup this.

I already filed a bug report at launchpad (which admittedly is based on
a very poor information base, as I do not know how to securely reproduce
the misbehaviour); also my posting at stackoverflow [2] was not crowned
with success.

Currently I use emacs 23.2.1 on Linux Mint 11. The last version of
nxml-mode I used is 20041004.

Any tips about that? How can I possibly find out, what emacs causes to
do that?

Greetings
Martin

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nxhtml/+bug/1032564>
[2]
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11247666/emacs-nxhtml-mode-memory-full>
| G. Martin Butz, mb@mkblog.org, 0421 98749324, www.mkblog.org |

* Re: Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow
@ 2012-08-26 14:35 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-08-26 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mb; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Martin,

Martin Butz <mb@mkblog.org> writes:
 > since a few weeks I have some serious problem, while using emacs for
 > webdevelopement. I use (and would like to in future) nxhtml-mode. It
seems that
 > this mode (or the underlying nxml-mode) causes emacs to consume 100 %
cpu-power
 > - at least after a while. I can not spotify the exact reason for
this; in some
 > cases it seem to be caused be validation. Emacs says MEM FULL! (mode
line),
 > freezes and there's no other way as to kill the process.

I can't help you with nxhtml-mode, but if you describe what exact
features from it you're using, people here might suggest some
alternatives.
nxml-mode, by the way, is considered fairly stable, so if you don't need
anything additional, you can use it alone.

--Dmitry

* Re: Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow
@ 2012-08-26 20:19 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-08-26 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mb; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Martin Butz <mb@mkblog.org> writes:
 > Am 26.08.2012 18:01, schrieb Jambunathan K:
 >> Have you tried disabling validation.
 >
 > I tried to do that over the menu, but did not find the responsible
variable to
 > disable it completely.

If you're going to disable validation, you might want to look into just
using html-mode instead of nxml-mode. It has commands for moving to
matching tags, too:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7022556/emacs-nxhtml-how-to-highlight-or-jump-to-the-closing-html-tag

IIRC nxhtml should also have a multi-mode for PHP that is based on
html-mode.

* Re: Emacs and nxml/nxhtml-mode: memory overflow
@ 2012-08-27 18:55 Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2012-08-27 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
 > I've tried most methods for mixed mode.
 >
 > nxhtml is really the only mode for mixed mode programming that even
 > begins to be useful. I tend to find most other recommendations are done
 > by people who are not using mixed mode at all. Regradless how the
 > purists see mixed mode files (try mentioning PHP even in #emacs) , they
 > are very common. php and html/css/javascript in one file is not
 > unusual. Emacs addressing this "natively" would be a real boon.
 >
 > Unfortunately nxhrml doesnt seem to be maintained anymore, or?
 > Certainly in trunk emacs 24 using nxthml produces loads of popup error
 > buffers. I emailed the author but got no response.

If you were using ERB (with Rails) or EJS, I'd have another suggestion,
but for PHP you can try web-mode [1] that was announced on one of the
mailing lists here a few weeks ago.
I've no idea about its quality, but at least it's still being developed.

[1] http://web-mode.org/

--Dmitry