On 08/22/2012 09:50 AM, Dmitry Antipov wrote: > I'm almost convinced with going to a branch (mostly because > I have 80K patch with some GC bits, and maintaining it against > trunk becomes harder and harder). OK, thanks, to try to help finish convincing you (;-) I've prepared a patch along the lines suggested. For example, it changes this: bset_directory (b, current_buffer ? BVAR (current_buffer, directory) : Qnil); back to this: b->directory = current_buffer ? current_buffer->directory : Qnil; It's a bit long (it removes over a thousand lines of code from Emacs, net) so I've attached the compressed version. Comments welcome.