all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* python.el and imenu
@ 2012-07-30  3:26 Greg Laun
From: Greg Laun @ 2012-07-30  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How does one use imenu with the current python.el in emacs24?  When I
try M-x imenu in a python file, I always get the message, "No items
suitable for an index found in this buffer".

I have spent a good part of the day searching the Internet for an answer
and have had no luck.  I have found other people having the same problem
(e.g.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6317667/fabian-gallinas-python-el-imenu-support)
but the solutions there do not work for me.

I tried using a blank .emacs file and still get the same errors, so it
doesn't seem like my configuration.

Anybody know how this is supposed to work?

Thanks!

Greg

* Re: python.el and imenu
@ 2012-07-30 10:28 ` Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala
From: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala @ 2012-07-30 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Greg Laun; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Greg,

Greg Laun <greg.laun@gmail.com> writes:

For me Imenu is working with both emacs-24.1 and with trunk
(emacs-24.2). Notice that 24.2 will come with Fabian's python.el replacing the
old one.

> How does one use imenu with the current python.el in emacs24?  When I try M-x
> imenu in a python file, I always get the message, "No items suitable for an
> index found in this buffer".

when you are in the python buffer, whats the value of
`imenu-create-index-function' (C-h v).

> I have spent a good part of the day searching the Internet for an answer and
> have had no luck.  I have found other people having the same problem
> (e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6317667/fabian-gallinas-python-el-imenu-support)
> but the solutions there do not work for me.

There is a bug in CEDET's imenu function for python, So if you have semantic
enabled (from CEDET) please turn it off.

Thanks.,
--
ఎందరో మహానుభావులు అందరికి వందనములు
YYR

* Re: python.el and imenu
@ 2012-07-30 13:49   ` Greg Laun
From: Greg Laun @ 2012-07-30 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

On 07/30/2012 06:28 AM, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala wrote:
> Hello Greg,
>
> Greg Laun <greg.laun@gmail.com> writes:
>
> For me Imenu is working with both emacs-24.1 and with trunk
> (emacs-24.2). Notice that 24.2 will come with Fabian's python.el replacing the
> old one.
>> How does one use imenu with the current python.el in emacs24?  When I try M-x
>> imenu in a python file, I always get the message, "No items suitable for an
>> index found in this buffer".
> when you are in the python buffer, whats the value of
> `imenu-create-index-function' (C-h v).

I changed my .emacs file to only contain the lines

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
   (lambda ()
     (setq imenu-create-index-function 'python-imenu-create-index)))

even though I see that python.el also sets imenu-create-index-function
to python-imenu-create-index.

But in a python buffer, (C-h v) gives

imenu-create-index-function is a variable defined in `imenu.el'.
Its value is semantic-create-imenu-index
Local in buffer tmp.py; global value is
imenu-default-create-index-function

So it looks like semantic is mucking things up?  The
semantic-create-imeu-index function is defined in imenu.el.
>> I have spent a good part of the day searching the Internet for an answer and
>> have had no luck.  I have found other people having the same problem
>> (e.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6317667/fabian-gallinas-python-el-imenu-support)
>> but the solutions there do not work for me.
> There is a bug in CEDET's imenu function for python, So if you have semantic
> enabled (from CEDET) please turn it off.

My .emacs file is pretty bare, so I'm not sue how semantic could be
turned on unless it's on by default.  In that case I'm not sure how to
turn it off.

Thanks for your reply.

> Thanks.,

* Re: python.el and imenu
       [not found] <mailman.5953.1343629267.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2012-08-04 11:04 ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2012-08-04 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> How does one use imenu with the current python.el in emacs24? (...)
> Anybody know how this is supposed to work?

Have you enabled the new parser features?

The following seems to work with GNU Emacs 24.1.1:
(semantic-mode 1)
(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
  '(lambda ()
     (define-key python-mode-map "\C-ci" 'imenu)))
--
Matthias

* Re: python.el and imenu
@ 2012-08-04 16:20 Dan Maftei