all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-03-05  3:15 Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2010-03-05  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear emacs gnus users:

I'm now using gnus with pop3 of gmail. Using nnmail-split-fancy, I
split sent mail into specific group mail.sent. As you know, if I send
a mail using smtp or web of gmail, it sends back the mail to me, and
it goes to mail.sent as I set the nnmail-split-fancy. This is okay for
me. In gnus then, it becomes the new mail so the gnus-notify+ notifies
it. However, in my context, it's already read mail to me.

So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
expired) automatically?

Please give me advise.

Thanks.

--
Kiwon Um

* Re: gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-03-05  9:27 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-03-05  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:
> So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
> expired) automatically?

You need to develop a robotic email force reading device.  It would look
like a bully, with appendages to run after you, catch you, immobilize
you, grip your eyelids wide open, Clockwork Orange-like,  put you in
front of the GNU screen, and have you read aloud the mail.  So in
addition to all the mechanical robotic aspect, you also need to have
voice recognition and be able to match text read alound in stressful
conditions with the text in the email.   Then, it could confirm the
email was read, and it could release you.

I can't wait for the future of robotics and AI.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com

* Re: gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-03-05 10:09   ` Kiwon Um
From: Kiwon Um @ 2010-03-05 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 3월5일, 오후6시27분, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
> > So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
> > expired) automatically?
>
> You need to develop a robotic email force reading device.  It would look
> like a bully, with appendages to run after you, catch you, immobilize
> you, grip your eyelids wide open, Clockwork Orange-like,  put you in
> front of the GNU screen, and have you read aloud the mail.  So in
> addition to all the mechanical robotic aspect, you also need to have
> voice recognition and be able to match text read alound in stressful
> conditions with the text in the email.   Then, it could confirm the
> email was read, and it could release you.
>
> I can't wait for the future of robotics and AI.

Nope, I think somebody know other relevant ways. ;)
Thanks.

* Re: gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-03-07  1:37     ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-03-07  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um wrote:
> On 3월5일, 오후6시27분, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
> wrote:
>> Kiwon Um <um.ki...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
>>> expired) automatically?
>> You need to develop a robotic email force reading device.  It would look
>> like a bully, with appendages to run after you, catch you, immobilize
>> you, grip your eyelids wide open, Clockwork Orange-like,  put you in
>> front of the GNU screen, and have you read aloud the mail.  So in
>> addition to all the mechanical robotic aspect, you also need to have
>> voice recognition and be able to match text read alound in stressful
>> conditions with the text in the email.   Then, it could confirm the
>> email was read, and it could release you.
>>
>> I can't wait for the future of robotics and AI.
>
> Nope, I think somebody know other relevant ways. ;)
> Thanks.

I don't know anything about gnus (can't get it to run, actually) but
gnus-summary-catchup function might be relevant.

Ed

* Re: gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-03-09 19:03 ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-03-09 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 19:15:56 -0800 (PST) Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> wrote:

KU> Dear emacs gnus users:
KU> I'm now using gnus with pop3 of gmail. Using nnmail-split-fancy, I
KU> split sent mail into specific group mail.sent. As you know, if I send
KU> a mail using smtp or web of gmail, it sends back the mail to me, and
KU> it goes to mail.sent as I set the nnmail-split-fancy. This is okay for
KU> me. In gnus then, it becomes the new mail so the gnus-notify+ notifies
KU> it. However, in my context, it's already read mail to me.

KU> So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
KU> expired) automatically?

You can write the following:

1) a function to log all your sent mail message-IDs somewhere
(e.g. diary.el or the Gnus registry)

2) a function that, when a group is visited, checks if any of the
message-IDs match the recorded ones and marks those as read.

None of this exists exactly the way you'd want it, so you'll have to
write a bit of code.

Ted

* Re: gnus question; how to make coming mails to be read
@ 2010-05-04 19:07 ` Sergei Organov
From: Sergei Organov @ 2010-05-04 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kiwon Um <um.kiwon@gmail.com> writes:

> Dear emacs gnus users:
>
> I'm now using gnus with pop3 of gmail. Using nnmail-split-fancy, I
> split sent mail into specific group mail.sent. As you know, if I send
> a mail using smtp or web of gmail, it sends back the mail to me, and
> it goes to mail.sent as I set the nnmail-split-fancy. This is okay for
> me. In gnus then, it becomes the new mail so the gnus-notify+ notifies
> it. However, in my context, it's already read mail to me.
>
> So how can I make these mails in the group (mail.sent) to be read (or
> expired) automatically?

Untested:

(defun my-catchup-sent () (gnus-group-catchup "nnml:mail.sent"))
(add-hook 'gnus-after-getting-new-news-hook 'my-catchup-sent)

--
Sergei.