all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to create random characters?
@ 2003-12-14  9:59 Brad Collins
From: Brad Collins @ 2003-12-14  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm hoping there is a simple function in elisp to do this....

I want to generate a random id which is in the format of XXX-0000
where 'XXX' is made up of ascii characters a-z and 0000 is a random
number 0000-9999.

I found random -- so that (random 10000) produces the number very
nicely but I can't find anything that will produce three random
characters in the same way.

Is there a simple way of doing this that I haven't found?

Cheers,

b/

--
Brad Collins