all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Number of characters per line
@ 2003-09-01  9:15 Chemtux
From: Chemtux @ 2003-09-01  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Could someone tell me how to set the maximum number of characters per line
to 70 for C++ mode.

thnx

* Re: Number of characters per line
@ 2003-09-02  7:33 ` Joakim Hove
From: Joakim Hove @ 2003-09-02  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Chemtux <Chemtux@(*)nedlinux.nl> writes:

> Could someone tell me how to set the maximum number of characters per line
> to 70 for C++ mode.

Well,

to set the maximum number of characters per line with auto-fill-mode
is:
    C-u nn C-x f

were "nn" is the number of characters, i.e. 70 in your case. But
observe that:

 1. This requires auto-fill-mode to be on (a minor mode toggled on/off
    with M-x auto-fill-mode)

 2. auto-fill-mode is a mode intended for *text*, I *think* it will
    only be a nuisance in a programming mode like C++.

HTH - Joakim

 / Joakim Hove  / hove@bccs.no  /  (55 5) 84076       |                 \
 | Unifob AS, Avdeling for Beregningsvitenskap (BCCS) | Stabburveien 18 |
 | CMU                                                | 5231 Paradis    |
 \ Thormøhlensgt.55, 5020 Bergen.                     | 55 91 28 18     /

* Re: Number of characters per line
@ 2003-09-02 14:46 ` Michal Wyrebski
From: Michal Wyrebski @ 2003-09-02 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Chemtux wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Could someone tell me how to set the maximum number of characters per line
> to 70 for C++ mode.

Read about 'set-fill-column' function. This is probabely what you
want.

  Michal

* Re: Number of characters per line
@ 2003-09-02 15:06 ` Barman Brakjoller
From: Barman Brakjoller @ 2003-09-02 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could someone tell me how to set the maximum number of characters per line
> to 70 for C++ mode.

I cannot tell you how but as almost anything in Emacs is tweakable it
would certainly be possible to hook-on a function that after each
keyboard press checked if the current column was greater then a
certain number, and if it was, BEEP at the user. Would be very
annoying though... :)

* Re: Number of characters per line
@ 2003-09-02 17:20   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-09-02 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barman Brakjoller wrote:

>>Could someone tell me how to set the maximum number of characters per line
>>to 70 for C++ mode.
>>

> I cannot tell you how but as almost anything in Emacs is tweakable it
> would certainly be possible to hook-on a function that after each
> keyboard press checked if the current column was greater then a
> certain number, and if it was, BEEP at the user. Would be very
> annoying though... :)

(defun annoy ()
   (if (>= (current-column) 70)
       (beep t)))