all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bad interaction of face-spec-set and customize-face
@ 2008-03-01 22:25 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-03-01 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

emacs -Q
M-x customize-face font-lock-comment-face
Change foreground to blue
"Set for current session"
   -> face changes to blue

emacs -Q
(face-spec-set 'font-lock-comment-face
                    '((t (:foreground "OrangeRed"))))
M-x customize-face font-lock-comment-face
Change foreground to blue
"Set for current session"
  -> face does not change

* Re: bad interaction of face-spec-set and customize-face
@ 2008-03-02 17:25 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-03-02 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

    emacs -Q
    (face-spec-set 'font-lock-comment-face
			'((t (:foreground "OrangeRed"))))
    M-x customize-face font-lock-comment-face
    Change foreground to blue
    "Set for current session"
      -> face does not change

This is not a bug.

A few months ago I made an effort to clean up the relationship between
face atttributes and customization.

Whatever you set with customization acts like a change
to the defface.

Attribute values that you set with face-spec-set (with FOR-DEFFACE =
nil) take precedence over the defface (and over customization).

The idea is that programs should set attributes with face-spec-set,
while users should set them with Custom (or with face-spec-set specifying
FOR-DEFFACE = t).

So this is not a bug, but it could be useful for the Set operation in
Custom to warn you that the face has an override which may cause your
changes not to be visible.  It could also have an operation to get rid
of that offerride by doing (face-spec-set FACE nil).

I did not finish rationalizing this whole area.  In particular, it is
not clear how `set-face-attribute' should interact with
`face-spec-set' and with Custom.  This needs more thinking.

* Re: bad interaction of face-spec-set and customize-face
@ 2008-03-03  9:11   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-03-03  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I did not finish rationalizing this whole area.  In particular, it is
> not clear how `set-face-attribute' should interact with
> `face-spec-set' and with Custom.  This needs more thinking.

It seems odd to me, but I haven't thought about it and don't really
want to.

It does as you say need more work (and documenting); eg at the moment,
customize happily tells you "Set for current session" despite the fact
that no change has been applied.