all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-11 17:59 Wilmar Igl
From: Wilmar Igl @ 2006-12-11 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I am using (PDF)LaTeX with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 and AucTeX.
Is there any way to tell Emacs to close the current preview in Adobe
Acrobat Reader automatically before compiling a new preview?
This is to avoid any error messages like
"ERROR: I can't write on file `_region_.pdf'."
I find it annoying having to close the Acrobat window by hand.

Thanks,

Will

* Re: Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-12  5:33 ` Stefan Monnier
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2006-12-12  5:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I am using (PDF)LaTeX with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 and AucTeX.
> Is there any way to tell Emacs to close the current preview in Adobe Acrobat
> Reader automatically before compiling a new preview?
> This is to avoid any error messages like
> "ERROR: I can't write on file `_region_.pdf'."
> I find it annoying having to close the Acrobat window by hand.

Just use a saner viewer.  Try xpdf, for example.  It won't reload
automatically, but a quick tap on the R key will force it to reload
the file.  No need to close&reopen.

And it's Free Software on top of it, so it's good for your karma,

* Re: Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-12  5:51   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-12  5:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [2006.12.12 00:33 -0500] Stefan Monnier wrote:
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> I am using (PDF)LaTeX with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 and AucTeX.  Is
>> there any way to tell Emacs to close the current preview in Adobe
>> Acrobat Reader automatically before compiling a new preview?  This
>> is to avoid any error messages like "ERROR: I can't write on file
>> `_region_.pdf'."  I find it annoying having to close the Acrobat
>> window by hand.
>
> Just use a saner viewer.  Try xpdf, for example.  It won't reload
> automatically, but a quick tap on the R key will force it to reload
> the file.  No need to close&reopen.
>
> And it's Free Software on top of it, so it's good for your karma,

I am not sure if xpdf runs on M$ which Wilmar Igl is using. But there
are definitely other pdf viewers.

* Re: Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-12 15:49     ` Shanks N
From: Shanks N @ 2006-12-12 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> * [2006.12.12 00:33 -0500] Stefan Monnier wrote:
>                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[...]

> I am not sure if xpdf runs on M$ which Wilmar Igl is using. But there
> are definitely other pdf viewers.

I believe there was a posting on comp.text.tex about a fast pdf viewer
called sumatraPDF.  It supposedly doesn't lock the file.

http://groups.google.co.in/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/3162d85e7bc32d35/e3b65f11c22b3a99?lnk=st&q=sumatrapdf&rnum=1#e3b65f11c22b3a99

regards,
Shanks

* Re: Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-12 18:33 ` Wilmar Igl
       [not found] ` <mailman.2022.1166387121.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wilmar Igl @ 2006-12-12 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo!

SumatraPDF-Viewer also locks the PDF-file.
=> EMACS: "ERROR: I can't write on file `_region_.pdf'."

Will

@ 2006-12-12 18:48   ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2006-12-12 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

* [2006.12.12 19:33 +0100] Wilmar Igl wrote:
                           ^^^^^^^^^^
> SumatraPDF-Viewer also locks the PDF-file.
> => EMACS: "ERROR: I can't write on file `_region_.pdf'."

This give me the feeling that is due to the limit of the system, in
that case you might consider transferring to a more powerful system
such as GNU/Linux.

Here is another good pdf viewer to try:

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

* Re: Close PDF-Viewer automatically before compiling new LaTeX Code
@ 2006-12-17 20:24 ` Jesper Harder
       [not found] ` <mailman.2022.1166387121.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jesper Harder @ 2006-12-17 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wilmar Igl <wilmar.igl@gmx.de> writes:

> I am using (PDF)LaTeX with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 and AucTeX.
> Is there any way to tell Emacs to close the current preview in Adobe
> Acrobat Reader automatically before compiling a new preview?

Maybe this approach still works (I haven't tried it in years):

<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/5132ba237a48eb0f>

@ 2006-12-17 22:11   ` Thorsten Bonow
From: Thorsten Bonow @ 2006-12-17 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Jesper> Wilmar Igl <wilmar.igl@gmx.de> writes:
    >> I am using (PDF)LaTeX with GNU Emacs 22.0.50.2 and AucTeX.  Is there any
    >> way to tell Emacs to close the current preview in Adobe Acrobat Reader
    >> automatically before compiling a new preview?

    Jesper> Maybe this approach still works (I haven't tried it in years):

    Jesper> <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/5132ba237a48eb0f>

There is xpdfopen with which you can simulate a "watch file" feature with
acrobat reader...

http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/help/Catalogue/entries/xpdfopen.html

Toto

--
Contact information and PGP key at
http://www-users.rwth-aachen.de/thorsten.bonow

If two or three people stop smoking as a result of anything I
have ever written then the one of them who would have got cancer
will live and all my scribblings will have been worthwhile.

Ivan Noble, 1967-2005

The closing words of his final column, "Tumour diary".