all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* install emacs on windows
@ 2012-11-19 21:34 Leonhard Horstmeyer
From: Leonhard Horstmeyer @ 2012-11-19 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs-windows, help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I have just downloaded the emacs-24.2.tar.gz and followed the
instructions on http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/index.html
After having downloaded a program to open tar. I unpacked the file..
It says: "You can run Emacs without any extra steps, but if you want
icons in your Start Menu, or for Emacs to detect the image libraries
that are already installed on your system as part of GTK, then you
should run the program emacs-23.3\bin\addpm.exe."

I dont know how to run it? And the bin directory in
"emacs-24.2\bin\addpm.exe" doesnt exist either. How do I get it running?

Many thanks, sorry for my lack of knowledge. I am just a stupid user,
who doesnt know anything.
regards
Leo

* Re: install emacs on windows
@ 2012-11-19 21:54 ` drain
From: drain @ 2012-11-19 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Video walkthrough:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvSCIl0Jh5A

I believe you need to download a .zip and extract it to wherever you want
to run Emacs:

PICK YOUR VERSION

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/

LATEST VERSION DIRECT LINK

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20120917-r110062-bin-i386.zip

* Re: install emacs on windows
@ 2012-11-19 22:20 ` Carson Chittom
From: Carson Chittom @ 2012-11-19 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-emacs-windows

Leonhard Horstmeyer <lmh69@cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I have just downloaded the emacs-24.2.tar.gz and followed the
> instructions on http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/index.html
> After having downloaded a program to open tar. I unpacked the file..
> It says: "You can run Emacs without any extra steps, but if you want
> icons in your Start Menu, or for Emacs to detect the image libraries
> that are already installed on your system as part of GTK, then you
> should run the program emacs-23.3\bin\addpm.exe."

It sounds like you have the Emacs source files, which isn't much use to
you unless you want to compile it.

Try the zip files at http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/ instead (you
want the "bin" file, NOT the "barebin").  These are prebuilt Windows
binaries.