all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to configure for smtps protocol
@ 2011-12-08 20:59 Rene
From: Rene @ 2011-12-08 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

My company is migrating to a secured smtp server.  It now uses the smtps
protocol on port 465 (instead of the regular smtp protocol on port 25)

Although I reconfigured the vm variables (in Emacs 24) accordingly I can't
manage to make use of this new smtps server.

Here is my configuration file :

(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtps.company.domain.name")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "company.domain.name")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service 465)
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials (("smtps.company.domain.name" 465 "login" "")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials nil)

(setq smtpmail-debug-verb t)
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)

Besides I don't get any error message which leaves me with no clue on how to
debug  this problem.

Any help would be much welcome.

--
Rene

* Re: How to configure for smtps protocol
       [not found]   ` <a963e9ce-0860-4ea5-8eba-e5187cbf4b11@t38g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>
@ 2011-12-17 11:07     ` Uday Reddy
From: Uday Reddy @ 2011-12-17 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/13/2011 8:41 PM, Alan wrote:

> There is a clue from reading in the VM Info manual (in my case,
> version 8.1), about the POP servers.  It says:
>
> "For SSL, you must have the stunnel program installed and the variable
> `vm-stunnel-program' must name it in order for POP over SSL to work.
> The default value of this variable, `"stunnel"', should be sufficient
> if the program is installed in your normal command search path."

This is an unfortunate confusion.

In the old days, when VM was designed, people knew the difference
between mail readers and mail senders (even though mail readers always
provided links to the mail senders in order to reply to messages).
Nowadays the distinction between mail readers and mail senders is less
well recognized.

The point here is that VM is a mail reader, not a mail sender.  The VM
Info manual that you quoted above is talking about the mail reader.  On
the other hand, Rene is facing issues with the mail sender, in
particular the smtpmail package, which is part of Gnu Emacs.

The "Emacs SMTP Library" manual, distributed with Gnu Emacs, is in fact
the best source of information.  The manual says:

`smtpmail-starttls-credentials'
      The variable `smtpmail-starttls-credentials' contains a list of
      tuples with hostname, port, name of file containing client key, and
      name of file containing client certificate.  The processing is
      similar to the previous variable.  The client key and certificate
      may be `nil' if you do not wish to use client authentication.

Rene has set this variable to `nil', meaning he doesn't wish to use
"client authentication".  Is that the right thing to do?

(Why the protocols people can't write text that mere mortals can
understand is always a question for me.)

The EmacsWiki page on GnusGmail,
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusGmail, is also a good source of
information.  If somebody can write a page like this for VM, the VM
users would be quite grateful!

Cheers,
Uday