all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Sunrise Commander: X11 refresh issue?
@ 2012-06-20  1:07 Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2012-06-20  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi All,

I am using Sunrise Commander (v. 5.420) in an X11 (vanilla) window,
across Hummingbird Exceed, through Citrix. In all other modes, things
are fine, but when the package is loaded, then the screen flickers like
it is re-drawing. (Also, it seems like Gnus has a similar issue when
advancing quickly through the message list, but it is tolerable)

In order (to try) to solve this problem, I unloaded all the other ELPA
packages (e.g. sunrise-x-buttons) but it still flickers.

I don't want to blame Emacs for causing this problem, but I think it's
the only thing in my setup that I am able to modify.  Has anyone seen
this problem before?

Thanks,
Eric

* Re: Sunrise Commander: X11 refresh issue?
@ 2012-06-20  9:16 ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2012-06-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

W dniu środa, 20 czerwca 2012 03:07:27 UTC+2 użytkownik Eric Brown napisał:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using Sunrise Commander (v. 5.420) in an X11 (vanilla) window,
> across Hummingbird Exceed, through Citrix. In all other modes, things
> are fine, but when the package is loaded, then the screen flickers like
> it is re-drawing. (Also, it seems like Gnus has a similar issue when
> advancing quickly through the message list, but it is tolerable)
(...)

Hello Eric,

Does setting the value of the `sr-windows-locked' custom variable to
nil help?

Cheers,
--
José A. Romero L.
escherdragon at gmail

* Re: Sunrise Commander: X11 refresh issue?
@ 2012-06-20 12:34   ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2012-06-20 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> W dniu środa, 20 czerwca 2012 03:07:27 UTC+2 użytkownik Eric Brown napisał:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am using Sunrise Commander (v. 5.420) in an X11 (vanilla) window,
>> across Hummingbird Exceed, through Citrix. In all other modes, things
>> are fine, but when the package is loaded, then the screen flickers like
>> it is re-drawing. (Also, it seems like Gnus has a similar issue when
>> advancing quickly through the message list, but it is tolerable)
> (...)
>
> Hello Eric,
>
> Does setting the value of the `sr-windows-locked' custom variable to
> nil help?
>
> Cheers,
> --
> José A. Romero L.
> escherdragon at gmail
> "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
> (Quarry worker's creed)

Hi José,

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Also, perhaps I
unfairly blamed SC for this issue -- it's probably generalizable to
Emacs and X11.

@ 2012-06-20 14:33     ` José A. Romero L.
From: José A. Romero L. @ 2012-06-20 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

W dniu środa, 20 czerwca 2012 14:34:06 UTC+2 użytkownik Eric Brown napisał:
> José A. Romero L. writes:
(...)
> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Also, perhaps I
> unfairly blamed SC for this issue -- it's probably generalizable to
> Emacs and X11.
(...)

Hmm, OK, does the problem persist even when running emacs with the -Q
option?

Cheers,
--

@ 2012-06-21  3:50       ` Eric Brown
From: Eric Brown @ 2012-06-21  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

José A. Romero L. <escherdragon@gmail.com> writes:

> W dniu środa, 20 czerwca 2012 14:34:06 UTC+2 użytkownik Eric Brown napisał:
>> José A. Romero L. writes:
> (...)
>> Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to fix the problem. Also, perhaps I
>> unfairly blamed SC for this issue -- it's probably generalizable to
>> Emacs and X11.
> (...)
>
> Hmm, OK, does the problem persist even when running emacs with the -Q
> option?

It doesn't flicker with -Q.  I think that basic emacs troubleshooting
could have solved my problem.  I should be able to restore the settings
in .emacs slowly and figure out the actual problem.

Sunrise Commander is great stuff!  Thanks a million, and

Thanks for your help,
Eric