all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do you see if a function is dumped?
@ 2009-01-09 21:17 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-01-09 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I tried to change things in custom.el and then byte compiled them. My
changes did not show up when I started Emacs again.

I guess this has something to do with dumping, or? Is there something
that will tell me it is useless to byte recompile custom.el?

* Re: How do you see if a function is dumped?
@ 2009-01-09 23:25 Chetan Pandya
From: Chetan Pandya @ 2009-01-09 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman, Emacs Devel

> I tried to change things in custom.el and then byte compiled them. My
> changes did not show up when I started Emacs again.

> I guess this has something to do with dumping, or? Is there something
> that will tell me it is useless to byte recompile custom.el?

emacs -Q
C-h v load-history
will provide the list of files and functions

Chetan

* Re: How do you see if a function is dumped?
@ 2009-01-09 23:29 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-01-09 23:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chetan Pandya; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Chetan Pandya <pandyacus@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> I tried to change things in custom.el and then byte compiled them. My
>> changes did not show up when I started Emacs again.
>
>> I guess this has something to do with dumping, or? Is there something
>> that will tell me it is useless to byte recompile custom.el?
>
> emacs -Q
> C-h v load-history
> will provide the list of files and functions

Thanks Chetan, but I do not think it gives me what I am looking for.

* Re: How do you see if a function is dumped?
@ 2009-01-12  1:33   ` David Robinow
From: David Robinow @ 2009-01-12  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 6:29 PM, Lennart Borgman
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 12:25 AM, Chetan Pandya <pandyacus@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>

>>> I tried to change things in custom.el and then byte compiled them. My
>>> changes did not show up when I started Emacs again.
>>
>>> I guess this has something to do with dumping, or? Is there something
>>> that will tell me it is useless to byte recompile custom.el?
>>
>> emacs -Q
>> C-h v load-history
>> will provide the list of files and functions
>
> Thanks Chetan, but I do not think it gives me what I am looking for.

I think it does. It shows you that custom is loaded.
You could also look at loadup.el
You do need to have some idea of how emacs is built.

Rebuild your emacs executable. Restarting is not sufficient.