all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* help correcting web-mode configuration
@ 2017-03-12  7:07 Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello all,

I previously posted on this list regarding a similar issue.

But I guess my explanation may be a bit confusing.

So I will explain it again.

Basically I have decided to use web-mode for my html and javascript work.

I took the decision because I also use Python based tenplating languages
like jinja.

Here is my configuration part in context.

(require 'web-mode)
(require 'company)
(require 'company-web-html)                          ; load company mode
html backend

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.html\\'" . web-mode))
(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.js\\'" . web-mode))

(add-hook 'web-mode-hook           '(lambda ()              ;;
Company-mode              (set (make-local-variable 'company-backends)
(append company-backends '((company-web-html company-yasnippet))))

No matter what I do, the auto complete using company just does not work
in web-mode.

Also I am not able to get the auto tag completion working.

Can some one help?

Happy hacking.

Krishnakant.

* Re: help correcting web-mode configuration
@ 2017-03-12  8:39 ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-12  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I barely use web-mode because I seldom write HTML etc, but I use
company-mode a lot and find it sometimes tricky to setup.

I noticed that you set company-backends locally, but you have to make
sure it's actually being called.

You can tackle it down by 2 steps:
1. Try command 'company-web-html' or something provided by your company
web-mode package. If it's giving you the completions, this step is
passed. Otherwise, you have problem setting up the package itself.

2. Try command 'company-diag' to see what back-end it's using currently,
and if the back-end it's using is not what you want, maybe you have to
set the company-backends without append. For example:

(defun web-mode-setup-company ()
  (make-local-variable 'company-backends)
  (setq company-backends '(company-web-html)))
(add-hook 'web-mode-hook 'web-mode-setup-company)

Danny

@ 2017-03-12 10:17   ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sunday 12 March 2017 02:09 PM, Danny YUE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I barely use web-mode because I seldom write HTML etc, but I use
> company-mode a lot and find it sometimes tricky to setup.
>
> I noticed that you set company-backends locally, but you have to make
> sure it's actually being called.
>
> You can tackle it down by 2 steps:
> 1. Try command 'company-web-html' or something provided by your company
> web-mode package. If it's giving you the completions, this step is
> passed. Otherwise, you have problem setting up the package itself.
Step one pass because I end up doing this manually and it does give me
completions.

> 2. Try command 'company-diag' to see what back-end it's using currently,
> and if the back-end it's using is not what you want, maybe you have to
> set the company-backends without append. For example:
>
> (defun web-mode-setup-company ()
>    (make-local-variable 'company-backends)
>    (setq company-backends '(company-web-html)))
> (add-hook 'web-mode-hook 'web-mode-setup-company)

I will try this in an hour on my laptop with Emacs.
Thanks a lot.

@ 2017-03-12 10:27   ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Danny

On Sunday 12 March 2017 02:09 PM, Danny YUE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I barely use web-mode because I seldom write HTML etc, but I use
> company-mode a lot and find it sometimes tricky to setup.
>
> I noticed that you set company-backends locally, but you have to make
> sure it's actually being called.
>
> You can tackle it down by 2 steps:
> 1. Try command 'company-web-html' or something provided by your company
> web-mode package. If it's giving you the completions, this step is
> passed. Otherwise, you have problem setting up the package itself.
>

> 2. Try command 'company-diag' to see what back-end it's using currently,
> and if the back-end it's using is not what you want, maybe you have to
> set the company-backends without append. For example:
>
> (defun web-mode-setup-company ()
>    (make-local-variable 'company-backends)
>    (setq company-backends '(company-web-html)))
> (add-hook 'web-mode-hook 'web-mode-setup-company)

This is the output from company-diag

Used backend: company-web-html
Prefix: nil
Completions: none
I get same result of company-diag even after adding your code to init.el

@ 2017-03-12 12:27     ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-12 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Danny YUE

This is really strange...

You see, if 'company-diag' says that your back-end gives no completion,
which is actually wrong because 'company-web-something' does work as you
said...

Wait, why the "Prefix" is nil? It should be a string storing the
characters you have typed when invoking the command.

In Emacs Lisp mode if I type "(add" then invoke 'company-diag, I get:
Prefix: "add"
which is correct...

By the way are you using this pacakge?
https://github.com/osv/company-web

Danny

@ 2017-03-12 12:43       ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sorry my stupidity,

I hadn't started typing when I did company-diag.

here is the output when I try to start <html tag.

Used backend: company-web-html
Prefix: "htm"
Completions:
   #("html" 0 4 (annotation "html")) " -> html"

I guess the completions are not correct.

Happy hacking.

Krishnakant.

@ 2017-03-12 13:26         ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-12 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Danny YUE

But it seems to be correct, isn't it?

Because anyway the company-mode returns something that seems
reasonable. What's exactly your problem now?

The completion does not start automatically or something?

Danny

@ 2017-03-12 15:10           ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sunday 12 March 2017 06:56 PM, Danny YUE wrote:
> But it seems to be correct, isn't it?
>
> Because anyway the company-mode returns something that seems
> reasonable. What's exactly your problem now?
>
> The completion does not start automatically or something?

Yes completion does not start automatically.
I can do M-x and type company-web-html to get completion done.
I can also set it to a keyboard shortcut, but I expected that my
completion starts after I type 4 characters (that's what I have set for
completion ).

So this is precisely the problem.

@ 2017-03-12 15:18             ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-12 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Danny YUE

Seriously, have you checked the manual? ;-)

There are 2 variables that may be related to this:
`company-minimum-prefix-length' controls how many characters you have to
type before company-complete is invoked.

`company-idle-delay' controls the delay you will wait before auto
completion.

Please check the value of these 2 variables and modify them to some
valid number, e.g. 2 characters with 0.5 second delay.

Danny

@ 2017-03-12 18:23               ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-12 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Sunday 12 March 2017 08:48 PM, Danny YUE wrote:
> Seriously, have you checked the manual? ;-)
>
> There are 2 variables that may be related to this:
> `company-minimum-prefix-length' controls how many characters you have to
> type before company-complete is invoked.
It is set to 4 and I did it myself.
It works perfectly with python-elpy with company-mode.
> `company-idle-delay' controls the delay you will wait before auto
> completion.
That is set to 1 second.
It works perfectly in Python.

> Please check the value of these 2 variables and modify them to some
> valid number, e.g. 2 characters with 0.5 second delay.

I even tryed your suggestion, although there was no point doing so.
Still no change.

That's why I say this is a challenge.
Should I Send you complete init-el file?

@ 2017-03-13  3:17                 ` Danny YUE
From: Danny YUE @ 2017-03-13  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Krishnakant; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, Danny YUE

Well, please.

I will take some time trying to set up web-mode on my machine and try to
get it work.
But it will be later today...

@ 2017-03-18  7:04                   ` Krishnakant
From: Krishnakant @ 2017-03-18  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny YUE; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Danny,

Sorry to disturb you again, but I tryed a lot of things based on my
modest knowledge about emacs configurations and company-mode.

But I have still not got over my problem.

Did you get some time to check the problem?

happy hacking.

Krishnakant.