all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Synctex with auctex and Skim
@ 2009-07-20 19:05 Giovanni Lanzani
From: Giovanni Lanzani @ 2009-07-20 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I'm using the CVS version of Emacs.app and I would like to use synctex
from Skim.app with Emacs.app (+ Auctex loaded). However it doesn't
work (while it does with Aquamacs). Has anyone any clue about this
issue? In the TeX on Mac OS X wiki (http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/
index.php?title=SyncTeX) it is reported that synctex should work with
Carbon Emacs. Are there modifications in Carbon Emacs which could
explain the syncing between pdf and .tex to work inside it and not to
work in the vanilla version of Emacs.app?

Thanks,

Giovanni

* Re: Synctex with auctex and Skim
@ 2009-07-23 16:24 ` Tom Dye
From: Tom Dye @ 2009-07-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-07-20 09:05:46 -1000, Giovanni Lanzani <ulissesroc@gmail.com> said:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using the CVS version of Emacs.app and I would like to use synctex
> from Skim.app with Emacs.app (+ Auctex loaded). However it doesn't
> work (while it does with Aquamacs). Has anyone any clue about this
> issue? In the TeX on Mac OS X wiki (http://mactex-wiki.tug.org/wiki/
> index.php?title=SyncTeX) it is reported that synctex should work with
> Carbon Emacs. Are there modifications in Carbon Emacs which could
> explain the syncing between pdf and .tex to work inside it and not to
> work in the vanilla version of Emacs.app?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Giovanni

Giovanni,

From what I understand, you should be able to achieve in Emacs what
Carbon Emacs does with synctex.  If I remember correctly, there are two
things to do: 1) configure Emacs so the latex command invokes synctex,
and 2) start the server so synctex can use emacsclient to get back to
the running instance of Emacs.  These steps are fully documented and
you should be able to find them.  These steps let you jump from a pdf
file back into the LaTeX document, but not from the LaTeX document to
the pdf file.

I believe that the ability to jump from the LaTeX file to the pdf file
in Aquamacs is due to some code written expressly for Aquamacs.

HTH,
Tom

--
Tom Dye
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.

* Re: Synctex with auctex and Skim
@ 2009-07-26 16:55   ` Giovanni Lanzani
From: Giovanni Lanzani @ 2009-07-26 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Tom,

thanks for the reply.

I already invoke latex with the synctex option, but for 2) (start the
server so synctex can use emacsclient), what should I do? Use M-x
server-start? Because doing just so doens't work.

And no, I don't need to jump from LaTeX to the pdf, just from the pdf
to LaTeX.

Thanks for your time and patience,

Giovanni

@ 2009-07-26 21:26     ` Giovanni Lanzani
From: Giovanni Lanzani @ 2009-07-26 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Just to be more clear:

if Carbon Emacs is running and I invoke emacsclient from the command
line, it jumps to the requested file. But if I compile a LaTeX file
and open Skim, the sync does not work between Carbon Emacs and Skim.
But if I close Carbon Emacs and run Aquamacs, from Skim the sync
works.

Therefore the 2 conditions you talked about are fulfilled: synctex is
invoked (it works with Aquamacs, without recompiling) and emacsclient
can invoke files in Carbon Emacs.