all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-11-18 20:47 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-11-18 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

I just did an update, my first since August,
and byte-recompile-file gave this output at the end:

    Failed to convert XML routine info, falling back on idlw-rinfo.
    Could not locate any system routine information.
    Normalizing idlwave-system-routines in idle time...done
    Finishing initialization in idle time...
    Scanning all buffers...

I suspect that some idlwave file does nontrivial actions
when it is merely loaded.

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-11-25  0:37 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-11-25  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: 4957

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I suspect that some idlwave file does nontrivial actions when it is
> merely loaded.

emacs -Q -l idlwave

does some work to set up the `idlwave-routines' variable. Is this an
issue? It doesn't change any aspect of Emacs behaviour, it's just
(verbosely) initializing so that it can start up faster when actually
needed.

It only starts doing it if Emacs is idle for
`idlwave-init-rinfo-when-idle-after' seconds (default 10). Change this
variable to 0 and it won't do anything until the information is
actually needed.

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-11-26  6:23   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-11-26  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 4957

    does some work to set up the `idlwave-routines' variable. Is this an
    issue? It doesn't change any aspect of Emacs behaviour, it's just
    (verbosely) initializing so that it can start up faster when actually
    needed.

    It only starts doing it if Emacs is idle for
    `idlwave-init-rinfo-when-idle-after' seconds (default 10).

With that mechanism, this would not get activated during bootstrap,
right?  Either there is a bug in that code, or what I saw was
something else.

Do you see this when you bootstrap?

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-11-30  6:44     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-11-30  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: 4957

Richard Stallman wrote:

> With that mechanism, this would not get activated during bootstrap,
> right?  Either there is a bug in that code, or what I saw was
> something else.
>
> Do you see this when you bootstrap?

No I don't, because bootstrapping starts a new Emacs instance to
compile every file in a pure environment. They exit when done, so
never hang around for 10 seconds of idle time to allow this code to
run. I thought you said you did a recompile, which is different and
compiles everything in a single Emacs instance.

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-12-01  4:10       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2009-12-01  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 4957

    No I don't, because bootstrapping starts a new Emacs instance to
    compile every file in a pure environment. They exit when done, so
    never hang around for 10 seconds of idle time to allow this code to
    run. I thought you said you did a recompile, which is different and
    compiles everything in a single Emacs instance.

I think this occurred during a bootstrap.  But I can't be sure
of that memory after the time that has gone by.

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2009-12-02  3:08         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2009-12-02  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rms; +Cc: 4957

Richard Stallman wrote:

> I think this occurred during a bootstrap.  But I can't be sure
> of that memory after the time that has gone by.

I can't see how it could happen during bootstrap, and have never seen
it myself. I do see how it could happen with `make recompile' or
something similar.

* bug#4957: 23.1.50; idlwave activated spuriously
@ 2011-07-10  1:10           ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-07-10  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 4957-done

I'm closing this report. I think the details at

basically explain that there is nothing to do here.