all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Navigating function arguments in C-styled Languages
@ 2009-10-07 19:23 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2009-10-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can we somehow navigate, reorder (transpose) or iterate the function
arguments of a function decl/def in C-styled languages like we can
with lisp sexps?

/Nordlöw

* Re: Navigating function arguments in C-styled Languages
@ 2009-10-07 22:07 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2009-10-07 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlow <per.nordlow@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can we somehow navigate, reorder (transpose) or iterate the function
> arguments of a function decl/def in C-styled languages like we can
> with lisp sexps?

Yes.  Use C-M-f, C-M-b (`forward/backward-sexp') to move through them,
C-M-t (`transpose-sexps') to transpose them (use a numerical prefix
argument if you're adventurous ;-), C-M-k (`kill-sexp') to murder one.

"Iterate a function argument"?  Not sure what you mean by this.  In
English, you can only iterate an action, not a thing.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

* Re: Navigating function arguments in C-styled Languages
@ 2009-10-08  7:36   ` Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2009-10-08  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 8, 12:07 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
> Nordlow <per.nord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can we somehow navigate, reorder (transpose) or iterate the function
> > arguments of a function decl/def in C-styled languages like we can
> > with lisp sexps?
>
> Yes.  Use C-M-f, C-M-b (`forward/backward-sexp') to move through them,
> C-M-t (`transpose-sexps') to transpose them (use a numerical prefix
> argument if you're adventurous ;-), C-M-k (`kill-sexp') to murder one.
>
> "Iterate a function argument"?  Not sure what you mean by this.  In
> English, you can only iterate an action, not a thing.
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

No, forward/backward-sexp does not work the way you describe in cc-
mode.

Try for example:

float add(float * x, float * y)

When I stand anywhere on the expression "float * x", preferrably at
the "f", I want a function, say c-forward-argument, that places the
cursor after the comma ",".

I think I could write this function on my own but first I ask others
so I don't reinvent the wheel.

@ 2009-10-10 17:15     ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-10-10 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 8, 9:36 am, Nordlöw <per.nord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 8, 12:07 am, Alan Mackenzie <a...@muc.de> wrote:
>
> > Nordlow <per.nord...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Can we somehow navigate, reorder (transpose) or iterate the function
> > > arguments of a function decl/def in C-styled languages like we can
> > > with lisp sexps?
>
> > Yes.  Use C-M-f, C-M-b (`forward/backward-sexp') to move through them,
> > C-M-t (`transpose-sexps') to transpose them (use a numerical prefix
> > argument if you're adventurous ;-), C-M-k (`kill-sexp') to murder one.
>
> > "Iterate a function argument"?  Not sure what you mean by this.  In
> > English, you can only iterate an action, not a thing.
>
> > --
> > Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
>
> No, forward/backward-sexp does not work the way you describe in cc-
> mode.
>
> Try for example:
>
> float add(float * x, float * y)
>
> When I stand anywhere on the expression "float * x", preferrably at
> the "f", I want a function, say c-forward-argument, that places the
> cursor after the comma ",".

"C-s ," ?