all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How do I get an empty buffer at launch ?
@ 2010-05-30 11:23 François Fayard
From: François Fayard @ 2010-05-30 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

When I launch Emacs on my system, it starts with the *GNU Emacs*
buffer. I would prefer to start with a blank buffer. What can I do for
that ?

I also don't use the *scratch* buffer. Is there's a way to avoid it to
be loaded.

Thanks,
François

* Re: How do I get an empty buffer at launch ?
@ 2010-05-30 11:58 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-05-30 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Add:

    (setf inhibit-splash-screen t)
    (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "emtpy"))
    (delete-other-windows)

at the end of your ~/.emacs

* Re: How do I get an empty buffer at launch ?
@ 2010-05-31 19:51   ` François Fayard
From: François Fayard @ 2010-05-31 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-05-30 13:58:53 +0200, Pascal J. Bourguignon said:

> Add:
>
>     (setf inhibit-splash-screen t)
>     (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "emtpy"))
>     (delete-other-windows)
>
> at the end of your ~/.emacs

It works. Thanks for your help.

@ 2010-12-10 17:31 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-12-10 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: François Fayard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 30.05.2010 um 13:23 schrieb François Fayard:

> When I launch Emacs on my system, it starts with the *GNU Emacs*
> buffer. I would prefer to start with a blank buffer. What can I do
> for that ?

It's documented how to switch that buffer off. Then the *scratch*
buffer certainly will appear. The disadvantage of a blank buffer is
that its contents is very volatile, no backups are made.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.:
	A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of
computer manuals.

* Re: How do I get an empty buffer at launch ?
@ 2010-12-10 18:13   ` PJ Weisberg
From: PJ Weisberg @ 2010-12-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, François Fayard

The launcher I use on my desktop runs "emacs new-file-$RANDOM", so it
always opens a blank buffer that gets the 'close without saving'
prompt.

--

-PJ