all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next  symbol
@ 2010-03-15 14:43 alex_sv
From: alex_sv @ 2010-03-15 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all!

Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
next meaningful symbol using one command?

I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:

texttexttext{cursor}___
_
___text

where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:

texttexttext{cursor}text

Thanks in advance!

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
@ 2010-03-15 22:14 ` B. T. Raven
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-03-15 22:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

alex_sv wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
> characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
> next meaningful symbol using one command?
>
> I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}___
> _
> ___text
>
> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}text
>
> Thanks in advance!

Replace regular expression might work:

C-M-%
[_C-qC-j]+ Ret
Ret

where _ is space.

You also might me able to use

\s-

(whitespace syntax)
but I couldn't get it to work.

Ed

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
@ 2010-03-16  1:59 ` despen
From: despen @ 2010-03-16  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

alex_sv <avshabanov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all!
>
> Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
> characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
> next meaningful symbol using one command?
>
> I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}___
> _
> ___text
>
> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}text

Seems to me regular expressions would be too much typing,
I'd go for:

M-z t t

But this seemed to work:

M-% [ space ^q ^j ] * ret ret y

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
@ 2010-03-16  2:56 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2010-03-16  2:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 15, 10:43 am, alex_sv <avshaba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
> characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
> next meaningful symbol using one command?
>
> I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}___
> _
> ___text
>
> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}text
>
> Thanks in advance!

(defun my-delete-whitespace-forward ()
  (interactive)
  (delete-region (point) (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t\n")
(point))))

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
@ 2010-03-16  9:58   ` alex_sv
From: alex_sv @ 2010-03-16  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 16, 5:56 am, Scott Frazer <frazer.sc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 15, 10:43 am, alex_sv <avshaba...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi all!
>
> > Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
> > characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
> > next meaningful symbol using one command?
>
> > I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:
>
> > texttexttext{cursor}___
> > _
> > ___text
>
> > where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
> > key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>
> > texttexttext{cursor}text
>
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> (defun my-delete-whitespace-forward ()
>   (interactive)
>   (delete-region (point) (progn (skip-chars-forward " \t\n")
> (point))))

Thank you, this works fine!
I didn't wrote the function because I thought this would be a
reinvention of some known feature I am not aware of.

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2010-05-07  3:34 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-05-07  3:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

alex_sv wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Could you please clarify - is it possible to remove all the whitespace
> characters including newline from the current cursor position to the
> next meaningful symbol using one command?
>
> I mean if our buffer's content is as follows:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}___
> _
> ___text
>
> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>
> texttexttext{cursor}text

;; This is copied from delete-horizontal-space, with
;; skip-chars-forward/backward " \t" replaced by
;; skip-syntax-forward/forward " ":

(defun delete-whitespace (&optional backward-only)
   "Delete all characters around point with whitespace syntax.
If BACKWARD-ONLY is non-nil, only delete them before point."
   (interactive "*P")
   (let ((orig-pos (point)))
     (delete-region
      (if backward-only
	 orig-pos
        (progn
	 (skip-syntax-forward " ")
	 (constrain-to-field nil orig-pos t)))
      (progn
        (skip-syntax-backward " ")
        (constrain-to-field nil orig-pos)))))

;; Now bind it to a convenient key:
(global-set-key "\C-cw" 'delete-whitespace)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
@ 2010-05-07 15:48   ` Sivaram Neelakantan
From: Sivaram Neelakantan @ 2010-05-07 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, May 07 2010,Kevin Rodgers wrote:

[snipped 9 lines]

>> texttexttext{cursor}___
>> _
>> ___text
>>
>> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
>> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>>
>> texttexttext{cursor}text

[snipped 22 lines]

There's also this
M-SPC runs the command just-one-space, which is an interactive
compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.
It is bound to M-SPC.

(just-one-space &optional n)

Delete all spaces and tabs around point, leaving one space (or n spaces).

Of course it doesn't handle the \n+spaces case.

 sivaram

* Re: remove all the whitespace characters from the cursor to the next symbol
       [not found] <mailman.30.1273247412.2075.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-07 18:52 ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-05-07 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-05-07 09:18:13 -0700, Sivaram Neelakantan said:

> On Fri, May 07 2010,Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>

> [snipped 9 lines]
>
>>> texttexttext{cursor}___
>>> _
>>> ___text
>>>
>>> where '_' means space character, is it possible to press some known
>>> key sequence to transform the given above to the following form:
>>>
>>> texttexttext{cursor}text
>>

> [snipped 22 lines]
>
> There's also this
> M-SPC runs the command just-one-space, which is an interactive

Cooll - didn't know that one!