all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
@ 2010-02-23  9:25 Ed
From: Ed @ 2010-02-23  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code

anybody give some suggestions,

thanks

* Re: "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
@ 2010-02-23 18:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1720.1266948922.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2010-02-23 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Ed <guess@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:25:30 +0800
>
> "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code

What font did you set PuTTY to use?  Does that font support chinese
characters?  Did you "C-x RET t utf-8 RET"?  Did you set up PuTTY to
assume UTF-8 encoding?

@ 2010-02-23 22:31   ` Lewis Perin
From: Lewis Perin @ 2010-02-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Ed <guess@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 17:25:30 +0800
>>
>> "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
>
> What font did you set PuTTY to use?  Does that font support chinese
> characters?  Did you "C-x RET t utf-8 RET"?  Did you set up PuTTY to
> assume UTF-8 encoding?

May I add that the emacs version may be at issue?  Using 21.3, the above
advice doesn't help me, but with 22.3, 它行!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / perin@acm.org

@ 2010-02-23 23:38 ` Colin S. Miller
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1745.1266969160.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-02-23 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ed wrote:
> "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
>
> anybody give some suggestions,
>
> thanks
As an aside, you can get XWindows for MSWindows. This will allow you run
the GUI version of XEmacs from a *NIX box, but displaying on your
MS Windows box.
Cygwin/MinGW do a open-source version; there are commercial versions
available.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.

* Re: "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
@ 2010-02-23 23:52   ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1745.1266969160.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-23 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Colin S. Miller
<no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Ed wrote:
>>
>> "emacs -nw" in putty, the utf8 chinese file is unreadable code
>>
>> anybody give some suggestions,
>> thanks
>
> As an aside, you can get XWindows for MSWindows. This will allow you run
> the GUI version of XEmacs from a *NIX box, but displaying on your
> MS Windows box.

... or perhaps Emacs from a *NIX box (but maybe I have missed
something here?) ...

@ 2010-02-23 23:59     ` Colin S. Miller
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1753.1266972819.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-02-23 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Colin S. Miller
>
> ... or perhaps Emacs from a *NIX box (but maybe I have missed
> something here?) ...

The OP mentioned PuTTY, which is a ssh client for MS Windows.
Thus I assumed he was logging into a remote (and thus *NIX) box
from a MS Windows box.

Colin S. Miller

--

@ 2010-02-24  0:53       ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1753.1266972819.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-02-24  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin S. Miller; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Colin S. Miller
<no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM, Colin S. Miller
>>
>> ... or perhaps Emacs from a *NIX box (but maybe I have missed
>> something here?) ...
>>

> The OP mentioned PuTTY, which is a ssh client for MS Windows.
> Thus I assumed he was logging into a remote (and thus *NIX) box
> from a MS Windows box.

Thanks, yes I saw that. What I meant was that Emacs also handles X-Windows.

@ 2010-02-24 22:47         ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2010-02-24 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Colin S. Miller
>

> Thanks, yes I saw that. What I meant was that Emacs also handles X-Windows.
Hmm?
I know that the *NIX version of Emacs uses XWindows,
and the MS-Windows native can (probably) support it
as well.

However, I was assuming that
1) the OP was sitting in front of an MS-Windows box.
2) He was wanting to run Emacs on a remote *NIX box.
    Why he was wanting to run Emacs on the *NIX box
    not the local box was not for me to ask; perhaps
    the remote box has access to resources that the
    MS-Windows box hadn't.

3) He implied that the remote emacs was running in console-mode.

4) He stated that he was ssh'ing into the *NIX box, and
    running emacs there.

Given these, using X-Windows as the display transport
(as long as a CJK(V) font was available to X) would
probably improve his experience.

(Ed I'm sorry if this sounds like I'm talking about you, in front of you)

Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.