all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Anyone out there running emacs-23 on openSUSE and have good looking fonts?
@ 2008-07-18 20:42 Doctor Who
From: Doctor Who @ 2008-07-18 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

It appears that I can get good looking fonts for the title bar/medu
bar, but the editor font looks bad.  I know 'bad' is subjective, but I
don't know how else to describe it.

I've created an ~/.Xresources file with

Emacs*font: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-*--*-100-*--*--*-

and also

Emacs*Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:10

I also edited ~/.fonts.conf to be the following based on an FAQ on the
EmacsWiki page:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="pattern" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

I'm hoping someone can help me out with getting the fonts looking good
in the editor (preferably Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans).

Thanks everyone!

* Re: Anyone out there running emacs-23 on openSUSE and have good looking fonts?
       [not found] <mailman.15016.1216429305.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-21 12:45 ` nakkaya
From: nakkaya @ 2008-07-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

i have emacs 23 (gtk) build from cvs on debian lenny. i just ran
fontconfig for my font then added

  (set-default-font "monaco")

to my .emacs.

and thats all it took to get good fonts.

--
Nurullah Akkaya