all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* greek fonts for emacs on linux
@ 2009-10-20  9:30 Micha Borrmann
From: Micha Borrmann @ 2009-10-20  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
instead of greek fonts. But there are greek fonts on my systems, because
webpages are displayed fine and in my vi the greek fonts are also
displayed. What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?

Thanks for any helpful hints in advance

Micha

* Re: greek fonts for emacs on linux
@ 2009-10-21  6:40 ` Andreas Politz
       [not found] ` <mailman.9203.1256107277.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-10-21  6:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Micha Borrmann <usenet2009@mb.sy.gs> writes:

> Hello,

[...]
> What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?
>
> Thanks for any helpful hints in advance
>
> Micha

(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8-unix)

for a start.

-ap

@ 2009-10-21  8:30   ` Micha Borrmann
From: Micha Borrmann @ 2009-10-21  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz schrieb:
> Micha Borrmann <usenet2009@mb.sy.gs> writes:

>> What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?

> (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8-unix)

thanks for that hint, but, it doesn't work. I set it in my .emacs but I
don't see the greek fonts :(

@ 2009-10-21 13:20 ` Andrew C. Suttles
       [not found] ` <mailman.9231.1256147669.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andrew C. Suttles @ 2009-10-21 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micha Borrmann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>Micha Borrmann <usenet2009@mb.sy.gs> writes:
>
> Hello,
>
> I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
> letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
> OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
> instead of greek fonts. But there are greek fonts on my systems, because
> webpages are displayed fine and in my vi the greek fonts are also
> displayed. What could I do, to display greek fonts in my emacs on Linux?
>
> Thanks for any helpful hints in advance
>
> Micha

Micha,

You can set the frame font you are using in Emacs with "set-frame-font".  If you
are a new user, type "c-h f" and then the name of this function to learn about
setting the proper font.

Andrew

@ 2009-10-22  8:53   ` Micha Borrmann
From: Micha Borrmann @ 2009-10-22  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andrew C. Suttles schrieb:

> You can set the frame font you are using in Emacs with "set-frame-font".  If you
> are a new user, type "c-h f" and then the name of this function to learn about
> setting the proper font.

thanks a lot. This was a helpful hint. But today I've forgot, which font
I was successfully using yesterday

@ 2009-10-22 18:23 Suttles, Andrew C. (GRC-DSI0)
From: Suttles, Andrew C. (GRC-DSI0) @ 2009-10-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

>Micha Borrmann wrote (on Thu, 22 Oct 2009 at 10:53 +0200):
>
> Andrew C. Suttles schrieb:
>
> > You can set the frame font you are using in Emacs with "set-frame-font".  If you
> > are a new user, type "c-h f" and then the name of this function to learn about
> > setting the proper font.
>
> thanks a lot. This was a helpful hint. But today I've forgot, which font
> I was successfully using yesterday

Micha -

create a list of fonts and bind a function to a key so that you can scroll
through them.  I like fixed width fonts for programming, but I read e-mail in
Emacs in other languages, so I need Unicode fonts that work well with those,
also.

1) Use setq to create a list and an index in your .emacs
2) Next, create a function that sets font 'list[index]' using `set-frame-font'
3) Bind your new home-made function to a convenient key combo, and you can
change fonts on the fly

Andrew

* Re: greek fonts for emacs on linux
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <mailman.9231.1256147669.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-01 19:16 ` Dave Love
From: Dave Love @ 2009-11-01 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Micha Borrmann <usenet2009@mb.sy.gs> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I use emacs to type LaTeX documents. Sometimes I copy text with greek
> letters to my own documents. It will be displayed fine on my aquamacs on
> OS X. But on emacs (running on Debian or Ubuntu) I see only squares
> instead of greek fonts.

I assume `linux' actually means GNU/Linux under X, not the Linux
console.  I'm surprised you don't get Greek by default, but what happens
depends on your Emacs version, amongst other things.

Define a suitable fontset using the fonts you have -- see "Defining
Fontsets" in the manual -- or maybe use a sufficiently-comprehensive
single font, like iso10646 versions of misc-fixed.  xfontsel(1) may be
helpful.