all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard macro question
@ 2009-10-02 14:05 Benjamin
From: Benjamin @ 2009-10-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use keyboard macros fairly frequently, but I often run into a
situation where I would like to increment a number in the macro, e.g.,
if I start with:

tmp tmp tmp tmp

and I want to end with:
tmp1
tmp2
tmp3
tmp4

I know how to create the macro where it would result in:
tmp1
tmp1
tmp1
tmp1

Is there a way to make the number increment each time the macro is
executed?
Otherwise I am forced to step down through each line and manually put
the numbers in 1, 2, 3, 4, ...
Naturally this is a greatly shortened example for illustration
purposes, and often the incrementing takes place within a longer
statement e.g.,  tmp(:,1) = function(x,y).  My interest here is how to
increment or decrement the number in a more automatic fashion.

I don't mind doing something other than macros, or even external
commands (perl/sed/awk, etc.)
to assist with this.

Thanks,
-Ben