all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hinting X window position for new frames
@ 2009-05-28 19:28 Alex Bennee
From: Alex Bennee @ 2009-05-28 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

One particularly annoying habit of using emacsclient to launch a new
window is my window manager places the new window on a different
workspace to where I launched emacsclient from. Is there any way I can
avoid it doing this?

Is this a window manager issue rather than an emacs issues?

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php

* Re: Hinting X window position for new frames
@ 2009-05-28 22:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-05-28 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 28.05.2009 um 21:28 schrieb Alex Bennee:

> Is this a window manager issue rather than an emacs issues?

Certainly ... (You could make the command "emacsclient" a shell
script that first edits X resources and then launches emacsclient ...)

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: Hinting X window position for new frames
       [not found] <mailman.8012.1243538928.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-05-31 21:35 ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2009-05-31 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alex Bennee wrote:
"(new-frame (list 'top 0 'left 0))"
> Hi,
>
> One particularly annoying habit of using emacsclient to launch a new
> window is my window manager places the new window on a different
> workspace to where I launched emacsclient from. Is there any way I can
> avoid it doing this?
>
> Is this a window manager issue rather than an emacs issues?

Alex,

gnuclient -batch -eval "(new-frame (list 'top 100 'left 0) (make-x-device) )"

will create a new frame at +0+100, of a default size.
The (make-x-device) seems to be optional, but it might be a wise idea to use it.

Determining the location to place the new frame is left as an exercise to the interested reader.

In theory, it should be possible to ask the X server if a process (by PID) is attached to it,
and if so, what is its window's location(s).

A wrapper-script around emacsclient would do this for its PPID (probably bash), and then that's PPID
(probably the terminal emulator), until the terminal emulator or init is reached.

HTH,
Colin S. Miller

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.